Reliable setup for SE .

Jeffery Kintz

So here is my dilema; I received my 2017 SE Custom 24 for Christmas and nothing I have done seems to help the tuning stability. New strings, slight trem adjustment, checking the knife edge on the trem, slightly filing nut for binding, stretching strings, etc etc no joy.
I have been reading for days about the quality of PRS domestic as well as SE lines, but I have to be honest, this is somewhat frustrating when you talk about approximately 800.00 spent and it won't even hold tuning. I guess the real question is, about a professional setup that does not require boxing up a new purchase and sending to the ptc. There are a few "authorized PRS" dealers in my area, however, none that have a reputation that inspires confidence, such as Guitar Center etc. So options? Assistance, anything would be greatly appreciated. I have poured through almost every post on here about SE's and setups, and have yet to find a solution maybe there is something I am missing. Thanks in advance.

It's covered under the warrantee. Let the store fix it. If they can't send it back. You have 30 days

The warranty is still good, just not the return time. If you talk to them I'm pretty sure they will work with you.

Update. It sems to be holding tune now, made some adjustments and the heavier gauge strings seem to be holding better than the 9s were. The only issue remaining is the "tinny" sound coming from low E and A strings. Fret clearance is good trem is set evenly at 1/16th intonation is good. It sounds like I'm getting some vibration from the string saddles on the bridge.
Looks like the knife edge is centered correctly, and I am at a loss for what it could be

Last edited:
Might be trem spring noise. You could put some foam behind the springs as a test.

Back