Received a rapaired PRS Silver Sky? (solved)

thisismyname

A few days ago I ordered online a PRS Silver Sky in Roxy Pink from what I thought was a reputable seller from Germany. Before ordering, when I saw that it was in stock, I called and asked if it was a brand new guitar, and was assured that the guitar was new, no previous owner, no B-Stock or anything like that. A few hours ago I received the guitar. Pretty quickly after the unboxing I noticed that something didn't seem right underneath the strap button (the one close to the tremolo), so I removed the strap button and found that there was a wooden dowel installed where the screw goes into the guitar. I guess this is a common repair when something breaks around that area, like if you drop the guitar and it lands on the strap button, or if the threads are stripped for some reason.

I have contacted the seller but today is Saturday so I haven't heard back yet. I wanted to ask: do you think this would be something that was done by PRS, and PRS then sent the guitar to the seller, with this repair done, to be sold as a brand new guitar? Or do you think it has to be the case that the seller was cheeky and did this repair and then tried to sell this guitar as brand new (not B-Stock or anything like that) to me? Would appreciate any insight on this!

Edit: Turns out this is perfectly normal, sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
Wait for the seller’s response. It’s possible they didn’t know and will make it right. I replaced the stock buttons with strap locks on my Silver Sky and didn’t see anything like that. I don’t think PRS would make a repair and send it out where the new owner would notice the work.

There’s a thread around here that confirms that’s how the factory does it. Not a repair. Don’t know when they switched to this method.
For all of the finishing work, the guitars are hung from the strap button hole on the bottom of the guitar.
They dowel them to help the screws hold better with fresh wood. TWSS.

There’s a thread around here that confirms that’s how the factory does it. Not a repair. Don’t know when they switched to this method.
For all of the finishing work, the guitars are hung from the strap button hole on the bottom of the guitar.
Yep, this. Your guitar is normal.

I found the thread you are talking about. I have another Silver Sky and it doesn't have the plug, so I was confused and thought that it had to be a repair. I was wrong, this is a relief! Thank you and sorry for the confusion :)

Back