Random. No more or less

Oftentimes we used rocks
Totally forgot about the rocks! Yes, more common than hammer!! Had to find the right rocks though, some rocks were better than others ;~)) Flat bottom, descent weight! And otherwise I remember pinching smaller rocks and hitting them to try to get them to pop! Have not thought of this stuff in sooooooo long! What a headrush!! Thanks for joggin' the noggin'!!!

And then of course there is the quarter sticks! I believe M-80's are 1/8 sticks of dynamite, and the look like little sticks of dynamite. The Cherry bombs may have had a similar amount of gun powder (could be less though), but they were round like a cherry. At least that is my experience! My friend who used to get me such "toys" used to do a lot of "lazy fishing" in the lakes and rivers of our area with those 1/4 sticks ;~)) I witnessed it once. Light stick, wait till it burns down to about 1/4", toss in water, watch fish float to the top, scoop with net, scale, gut, fry, eat!

How the h*ll do you come up with lyrics so fast. Lol
Just something I have always had in me, the wordsmithing. Comes natural and I take no credit for it as it was just something that was given to me and I did nothing to "earn" it ;~)) I see words, phrases, hear interesting views or takes on situations, and songs start forming in my head. This one, like many others, came from my own words that I just naturally was typing in a message response. Others as many of you know, come from things y'all have said and it sparks something in my head. Like that statement right there that I just typed, I want to write a song now called "Head Sparks" and just may do so at some point (will put that idea in the fish bowl), but I have paying work I have to do today so it will have to wait. But that is what happens, random stuff that I or others say/type just makes me want to build a song around it and it is difficult to turn off (not that I try to do that). This one ("Joggin' The Noggin'") was a lot of fun to write as it was "sparked" by the blasting caps stories, so thanks again @Lola for the inspiration and trip down memory lane ;~)) And a shout out to @ruger9 as well for reminding me of the rocks, that is what got my "noggin' a joggin'" (aka my brain running down memory lane)!!!

I may or may not have been commonly referred to as "the m-80 kid" when I was a teen. Not that I would ever sell fireworks in a location that strictly prohibited them... not me, not ever!

The authenticity of the above comments can neither be confirmed nor denied.

I showed my son these just to jog his memory. He said, “Mom those were nothing. We did a worse things then that! And then I said, like what?” They called them “blasting caps”.

Well, firecrackers and then M 80s came along later. But as kids the cap guns were a lot of fun.

Are M 80’s called “Cherry bombs”?

We never had blasting caps, but we did have M-80s and cherry bombs... people liked to put those in mailboxes.

I may or may not have been commonly referred to as "the m-80 kid" when I was a teen. Not that I would ever sell fireworks in a location that strictly prohibited them... not me, not ever!

The authenticity of the above comments can neither be confirmed nor denied.
That would be a good username on the forum "M80K"! Or your DJ name!! Those who know, know ;~)) My buddy who used to supply me is still at it, but in a legal sense. Every 4th of July and other "fireworks friendly" events, he gets to light off the fireworks he produces for said event. Pretty small town, I think <2,000 but he has been hired by the city for 20+ years now to be their pyrotechnician at such events! And he still has all his body parts, unlike a mutual friend of ours who hung on to a 1/4 stick a bit too long! Cost him two fingers ;~((

That would be a good username on the forum "M80K"! Or your DJ name!! Those who know, know ;~)) My buddy who used to supply me is still at it, but in a legal sense. Every 4th of July and other "fireworks friendly" events, he gets to light off the fireworks he produces for said event. Pretty small town, I think <2,000 but he has been hired by the city for 20+ years now to be their pyrotechnician at such events! And he still has all his body parts, unlike a mutual friend of ours who hung on to a 1/4 stick a bit too long! Cost him two fingers ;~((
Well I guess it'd be a bit like an "artist" as the last I heard the reference, several years later, it was "hey, aren't you that m-80 kid?". So I'd have to be the Kid Formerly Known as M80. Now I just have to figure out a cool symbol... maybe a hand with missing fingers! 👉

We never had blasting caps, but we did have M-80s and cherry bombs... people liked to put those in mailboxes.
Mailboxes were popular, but not with me. That's somebodies stuff. What we used to do with those is put them in big metal trash barrels and then put the lid on. I've seen one of those 25lb lids blow 25 feet in the are with a couple M-80s in it.

Back