PRS Vintage tuners... Glued in bushings?

Seahawk2982

Hey guys,

Just picked up a beautiful 2013 McCarty Korina that I'm looking to swap from the stock gold to nickel hardware. The tuners are the PRS vintage kluson style that I plan on swapping for a set of Gotoh replacements. I had read on another forum that someone doing a tuner swap on an older McCarty ran into an issue, believing that the PRS bushings were glued in to the headstock. I've done tuner/bushing swaps on Fenders and Gibsons before but this is my first PRS. I've never heard of the glued bushing thing before and just wanted to double-check before I start tapping them out. Thanks!

First I've heard of it, but I can't say for sure.

Hmm, it could be a way to fix a problem, but PRS typically fixes problems by doing it right in the first place. ;) I've never heard of anyone using glue, either.

Not sure about glued in, but they're in there really tight if not. I have a SC Ted that had Klusons. I had a set of Phase III's to put on it, but I couldn't get the old dollars out. I used as much force (hammer) as I thought prudent with no luck. I ended up with some locking Klusons, that I hate. The SE's are definitely not glued in. The collars came out of my Bernie with little effort.

Well I answered my own question. The bushings are not glued in. They are in a bit tighter than the ones on my LP, but was able to ease them out with a small wooden dowel. Thanks for the input guys!

I think Skitchy told me the standard tuners' bushing are glued in. I tried dropping in a set of green Sperzels and stopped once I was told they were glued. Of course, those were the Phase IIs..

Back