PRS Two Channel Custom 20 - How much gain/compression

Opps, you are right. I provided the wrong link, I've correct it. I'm beginning to think that perhaps the 20 does fit the bill. Wish there was one local to try.

Well I found a deal on a brand new 2 channel custom 20 on Reverb.com so I pulled the trigger. It arrived today. I don't have cab to play it, lol. However I did get together with my drummer tonight to jam with a bass player he knows. The dummer's kid has a 4x12 cab there so I plugged into that. I've got to spend more time with it but over all I'm pleased with it. It doesn't have the compression that I'd like to get, but my old JVM really had too much. I've got 3 days to decide to keep or return so I guess I'll have to hit a music store to try and find a nice 2x12 to match it.

Well having played this amp for a few hours I can make some observations.

1. The amp is very... "bassy". It can even sound flubby at times. I run both the clean and the gain channels with the bass on "0". I can add a bit of base to the clean and it sounds good depending on the guitar. Sounds great with single coils, but humbuckers seem to get too flubby quickly when driving the gain up.

2. While there's lots of gain it's kind of a messy, open sort of tone. Sometimes one wants that open, trashy sort of distortion. Works well on early rock and some punk/grunge/garage rock sort of tones, but sometimes I want a tighter more compressed tone for hard grunge/rock. Perhaps adding a compressor will help with that? In the front? in the loop?

I've got a G-Major 2 out for repair. Will be interesting to get that into the effects loop to see what that does.

I'm not giving up on the amp mind you. It's the right size, wattage, features. I just need to get to tone tweaked a bit.

Open to ideas/suggestions.

I just swapped my speakers out for V30's, and that tightened things up considerably. The 2 channel amps are bassy, and definitely voiced with a certain speaker in mind, not sure what speaker is in the combo but if not a V30, try it.

I've actually got the head and I've played into a B52 4x12 (not mine) and a DV Mark 2x12 and it still a lot of bass. The 4x12 is closed, the 2x12 open back, but the 2x12 actually sounds a bit better then the 4x12. I'm not likely to change my 2x12 but I'd consider other things. Different tubes? Changes to the tone stack caps, etc.

Back