PRS Take Note...Trending Technology!!

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Thought to post this as the next trend in modular guitar technology!

And here's a Seymour Duncan/Bareknuckles comparison with the Relish as a platform.

Granted, it sounds nothing like a core PRS. Just thought to let you folks see something innovative and ingenious that has been designed and built in Switzerland.

Last edited:
Thought to post this as the next trend in modular guitar technology!

Not the first post of this guitar!!

Technology doesn't always mean that the guitar will sell. Gibson's tried with their High-performance range - not just the Robot tuners but all the multiple ways to achieve tones on those instruments. It wasn't just a pill/push to split the coils but with a Dip Switch, you can choose whether the Pull/Push splits or taps the Pick-ups, you also had the option to switch the phase when both pick-ups were used with a Push/Pull

Despite the fact that all of these options were just options for a guitarist to use if they want, the guitar still functioned like a 'traditional' Les Paul if you didn't want to use the push/pull or dip switches and still sounded like a Traditional Les Paul, people complained, wanted Gibson to go back to basics, stop being innovative and using technology to give guitarists and much more versatile instrument. People couldn't handle the fact that a Traditional Les Paul, made similarly to traditional models with no weight relief and no coil splitting etc, was actually called the Les Paul Traditional and believed the traditional Les Paul should be called the 'Standard'

Its not just Guitars either as there are a LOT of guitarists that insist on using Valve Amps and hate the idea of Kempers, Axe Effects, Helix etc regardless of whether any 'modern' tech is as good (or better) than relying on antiquated (Valve) technology for pre and/or power amps - as well as analogue pedals.

I am not saying that anyone is wrong whether they refuse to use modern tech completely, refuse to use modern tech in some areas (guitars and/or amps for example but not pedals) or those that embrace technology and always looking for 'next' big technological advancement. All I am saying though is that there will always be people that want the more Traditional rig - especially in the instrument. I guess I fall into the traditionalist in Guitars and Amps on the whole. I didn't see anything wrong with Gibson trying to modernise and expand on their Les Paul models - especially as they were still offering the 'Traditional' LP and of course, all those reissues but for a LOT that was too much...

It will fall by the wayside, just like the VG Strat, or the Strats with "Personality Cards".

Sure, it's a neat idea, but I don't see anything like this happening to PRS. At least I hope not. :eek:

g2HuQwO.jpg

It's been done before (Dan Armstrong). There's an old thread I found on Reddit where someone nails it - most people don't change pickups often enough for this to be a concern. There have been a couple solderless wiring options that I think would likely be much more practical for the average user because they can be put in any guitar. But I don't think they've become all that common, either.

PRSh has said numerous times that it's hard to get guitarists to accept something new and different.

It's been done before (Dan Armstrong). There's an old thread I found on Reddit where someone nails it - most people don't change pickups often enough for this to be a concern. There have been a couple solderless wiring options that I think would likely be much more practical for the average user because they can be put in any guitar. But I don't think they've become all that common, either.

PRSh has said numerous times that it's hard to get guitarists to accept something new and different.

You are likely correct regards what PRSh says. Even Einstein felt like a failure sometimes because he believed that no one would accept his research and theories. Though I like the solderless swap options, perhaps the market may not be there for guitarists who wish to swap out their pickups instantaneously. Yet, in this world of instant gratification, mebbe there will be a future market for this type of guitar. Who knows, except how we understand the product receives reviews now, and towards the future?

Not the first post of this guitar!!

Yeah, sorry about that.

Technology doesn't always mean that the guitar will sell. Gibson's tried with their High-performance range - not just the Robot tuners but all the multiple ways to achieve tones on those instruments. It wasn't just a pill/push to split the coils but with a Dip Switch, you can choose whether the Pull/Push splits or taps the Pick-ups, you also had the option to switch the phase when both pick-ups were used with a Push/Pull

Its not just Guitars either as there are a LOT of guitarists that insist on using Valve Amps and hate the idea of Kempers, Axe Effects, Helix etc regardless of whether any 'modern' tech is as good (or better) than relying on antiquated (Valve) technology for pre and/or power amps - as well as analogue pedals.

Yet note that Kemper is making inroads among amp purists who may have previously insisted that tube amps were the only acceptable tech prior to modeling amps like Kemper...

I am not saying that anyone is wrong whether they refuse to use modern tech completely, refuse to use modern tech in some areas (guitars and/or amps for example but not pedals) or those that embrace technology and always looking for 'next' big technological advancement. All I am saying though is that there will always be people that want the more Traditional rig - especially in the instrument. I guess I fall into the traditionalist in Guitars and Amps on the whole. I didn't see anything wrong with Gibson trying to modernise and expand on their Les Paul models - especially as they were still offering the 'Traditional' LP and of course, all those reissues but for a LOT that was too much...

While advancing tech may be considered blasphemy among what most people consider traditional technology, we don't need to discuss how different viewpoints have changed history in the past. If the idea is good, why not embrace it? If it's inherently bad, the concept will have its moments, fade and then be forgotten.

Truth? :confused: I'm not seeing the "trend" at all. Who is using these? ;)

The other thread about the same guitar, labels it as "most advanced guitar ever". LOL

....If it's inherently bad, the concept will have its moments, fade and then be forgotten.

^This^ ;)

Truth? :confused: I'm not seeing the "trend" at all. Who is using these? ;)

The other thread about the same guitar, labels it as "most advanced guitar ever". LOL

^This^ ;)

The YT video touted the guitar as the most advanced, the OP had just reiterated what the YT vid said.

I really don't know that this technology will catch on or not. Kind of like asking movie viewers if they like flying crocodiles. I think you might understand what is trending today in the movie realm vs guitar construction technology. Interesting in both instances, perhaps a flash in the pan over the stream of time...

Yet note that Kemper is making inroads among amp purists who may have previously insisted that tube amps were the only acceptable tech prior to modeling amps like Kemper...

While advancing tech may be considered blasphemy among what most people consider traditional technology, we don't need to discuss how different viewpoints have changed history in the past. If the idea is good, why not embrace it? If it's inherently bad, the concept will have its moments, fade and then be forgotten.

IMO, guitarists aren’t adverse to advancing technology, they’re adverse to accepting inferior technology mascarading as an advancement.

Technology thrives when it’s clearly seen as superior. Digital delay and reverb being good examples. Solid state overdrive being another example. Valve guitar amplification being another.

Even now, the best parts of digital modelling are being adapted to solid state and valve technology at the same time that solid state and valve technology is being adapted to modelling.

A guitar like the Relish will thrive if it’s clearly seen as superior to what we currently have. If it fails it’s not because we’re a bunch of traditionalists who refuse to change, its because it sucks and no one wants to play it.

I am sure some will buy into what Relish are offering. Whether the idea loses its appeal and those that bought either don't bother with changing PU's too much - especially if they find the ones that are in use are the 'best' ones they liked, or end up leaving it in its case, time will tell. I don't think it will have universal appeal but maybe they will sell enough or go on to make different guitars that prove popular enough to keep in the Guitar business. It could also end up disappearing like Parker Guitars. Part of what may see these disappear is the Pricing. If they were in $1k or less price bracket, that may appeal to a wider variety of people but I bet the majority of Guitarists that can afford one of these has very little interest in purchasing one. At the lower price, some may be willing to pick one up for the novelty and, at that price, less money to lose on picking one up. If they aren't that popular, people will struggle to sell at a reasonable price and will end up taking a big loss or be stuck with one...

Whenever I've seen one of these types of products, I add it to my old thread at TDPRI. So if you want to see a few other similar ideas ...
http://www.tdpri.com/threads/rule-the-tones-many-guitars-in-one.630170/

Overall, players are very interested in pickup swapping in the beginning while sorting out tones, and especially truth from marketing fiction, that just taking a cheap Strat-Like-Object like I did to see what works and does not work that most satisfy their curiosity and then move on. If Relish produced this guitar and sold it for $100 then they'd sell a lot of them, but at that price it remains a reviewer's curiosity item.

I built my SLO during all the 'tone wood wars' on youtube that were raging at the time and I proved to myself that wood doesn't matter in the characteristics of a guitar's tone and that pots and caps matter as much as the pickups (remember that pots have a 20% tolerance range). Players spend all their time waxing lyrically about the exotic woods and mystical pickups due to continued marketing -- which unfortunately is pulling lumber demands out of fragile rain forests, which is a lot like demanding elephant ivory inlays from an ecological impact.

Reactions: jxe
What I’ve noted is this. When it comes to musical instruments, mankind has been and will continue to be almost totally dependent on nature and pure chance at discovery. Be it a piano violin or flute, once the underlying concept is discovered by chance, it is more or less fixed.

Because we are random hapless discoverers rather than masters of creation. Just because we know and can use electromagnetism, doesn’t mean we created it.

In the case of the electric guitar, optimisation was attained when someone fortuitously married a thick solid mahogany body to a humbucker, and a thin slightly hollowed alder body to a singlecoil floating on a sheet of plastic.

The exception of course is synthesized digital sounds. Yet I would hazard a guess that even many of these digital sounds were derived by trial and error, and many were attempts to re-create real physical instruments like strings.

We simply do not have the ability to imagine a sound in our heads, and then produce a physical instrument to attain it.

Therefore on that count, I would never bother with switching out pickups unless they were defective or not sensitive.

For me the guitar is already the guitar. It either sounds good as it is, on a fundamental level, or it doesn’t. The same metal string will vibrate in a rich musical manner on one guitar, and in a sterile thin manner on another. Like Paul always says, no matter what microphone you put on Barbara Streisand, she won’t sound like Paul Rodgers. It sounds like a corny sales line, until you realise it’s an accurate analogy to what’s really going on.

John push me off Loren in the snow New Orleans your furnace for a moment then you’re from them. Will your niche million flown in your room your mom in this normal and I am in Longville each million! BANANA Gene and *Now and Emma Chang Little Fleming universe and sharing in the lava soon so I won’t songs one in this, on this roof near the blossoms or hungry for eagle how often how often on with a little help establish a bunch of levels will be either how often lender for the eagle out this form is called exclamation what, let’s call me out of going to the volleyball
Spin Jake is at home to live in Spain chicks Yvonne live in Spain chicks van live in Spindrift Devon barbers so I’m alone any kind of English Miral I am in a near Malama softball the TV up the door just look atGo on your laurels and go off low on your phone. Call from the school on the small text Owens to woman always move all on you Bordigon go on your laurels and go off low on earphones. Call from the school on the small pool Owens to woman always move all on you Bordigon and your grandma again with you all look so good and pleasant Ken is pinch knew who wins the hall or nephew Nick Yu Nicole of the Polina Emma Renee Emma on the bus I am parched and it was old phone with Bruno at Boonie about a couple

Uh-oh - looks like somebody got a couple special brownies.

That looks like the same type of thing I would get when I first started using speech to text software.

Back