PRS Sighting - SNL

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
I generally just fast-forward through everything and just watch Weekend Update these days, but there were a couple decent skits on this week's SNL.

But what caught my eye was in a skit about a married couple who were telling their children that the mother had taken a lover and the dad was okay with it. They told it in song - on a somewhat familiar instrument.

Fqd81S0WcAEA22B.jpg

But... he's using the middle position? Completely breaks the suspension of disbelief.

Not if you've played one.

When DogPhishHead and I were passing a Silver Sky back and forth and putting it through its paces (I ended up buying it), we put it in the middle position several times, and every time he said, "It's not supposed to sound that good. The middle position isn't supposed to be that good."

Not if you've played one.

When DogPhishHead and I were passing a Silver Sky back and forth and putting it through its paces (I ended up buying it), we put it in the middle position several times, and every time he said, "It's not supposed to sound that good. The middle position isn't supposed to be that good."
Coolness. I haven't played one. I'm a little afraid to.

I started to ask if the middle position was more useful on the Silver Sky but thought it may not make it as apparent I was joking. I do sometimes briefly use the middle position on my Strat, mostly because I find my bridge pickup far too thin and bright (I really should wire a tone control to it). Staying with the neck pickup and picking closer to the bridge to increase brightness usually works better, but my Strat's not very fancy.

Coolness. I haven't played one. I'm a little afraid to.

You should be. I had no intention of buying one. Never really thought of myself as a single coil guy. The only reason I went to check it out that day was because the guitar engendered such hatred on the interwebz. I thought we played it for about 20 minutes - the PRS rep said it was over an hour. It reminded me of everything I loved about the single coil sound but never found.

I started to ask if the middle position was more useful on the Silver Sky but thought it may not make it as apparent I was joking. I do sometimes briefly use the middle position on my Strat, mostly because I find my bridge pickup far too thin and bright (I really should wire a tone control to it). Staying with the neck pickup and picking closer to the bridge to increase brightness usually works better, but my Strat's not very fancy.

To be honest, I was a little suprised when DogPhishHead said that. Like I said, I'm not a single coil guy - I had no idea the middle position was considered unusable. I had a Squier Strat that rarely got played, and I wasn't all that fond of the middle position, but I assumed that was just a me thing. As more and more of these trickled out, I saw a lot more comments about the middle position, and it gradually dawned on me that it must be a thing.

You should be. I had no intention of buying one. Never really thought of myself as a single coil guy. The only reason I went to check it out that day was because the guitar engendered such hatred on the interwebz. I thought we played it for about 20 minutes - the PRS rep said it was over an hour. It reminded me of everything I loved about the single coil sound but never found.

To be honest, I was a little suprised when DogPhishHead said that. Like I said, I'm not a single coil guy - I had no idea the middle position was considered unusable. I had a Squier Strat that rarely got played, and I wasn't all that fond of the middle position, but I assumed that was just a me thing. As more and more of these trickled out, I saw a lot more comments about the middle position, and it gradually dawned on me that it must be a thing.
Now I really want to try one and am even more afraid to. Thanks?

I used to think about getting another Strat but gravitated toward fixed-bridges, mostly as I had difficult keeping in tune when first learning with the Strat's tremolo. It turned out there were other issues, but I was too new and financially-challenged at the time to realize how much it needed a real setup and properly-cut nut.

Eventually I needed a full refret (and life had improved), so I found a good luthier, and was amazed at how much better it was once returned. But as I needed to wait a couple months, I bought a Tele and learned how good bridge pickups can sound (and the usefulness of a tone control). So I've stayed away from Strat-types or anything with a trem since.

Back