PRS SE Custom springs question

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Joseph T., Jun 11, 2017.

1. Joseph T.

Joseph T. New Member

Hello,

I recently purchased a used PRS SE Custom. Interestingly enough, there are places for five springs in the back of the guitar but there were only four installed; the remaining one was in the gig bag. Do these come with only four installed and another one in the bag or do you think someone removed the center spring before I got it? Anyone know the effect having one less spring would have? Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. markd21

markd21 New Member

They come that way. The trem will be a little more responsive with 4 springs. Add the 5th spring and the bridge will stiffen up a bit.

Joseph T. likes this.
  3. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Ultimately, the neck angle and string gauge determine how many springs hold the guitar in tune, and give you the tension you want. After hand surgery, I run 09`s and 4 springs in my tremolo guitars. Stays nicely in tune.

Joseph T. likes this.
  4. MichaelS

MichaelS I'm here for the free kool-aid...

Mine came that way.
    The SE trem stayed in tune perfectly. The CE not so much and I was suspecting the springs in that. I swapped both for MannMade since.
    Another tip I just came across recently is if there is any stickiness: some machine oil where the trem edge hits the screws.

Joseph T. likes this.