PRS SAS 97 Refresh...

Chimaera1982

Hi Guys

After having a PRS SAS 97 for a decade plus I decided to change things a bit. It already has a Graphtech Ghost system and dual concentric volume knob, from way back when. After those years I've always thought the MC Carty's were slightly muddled/too dark, especially for what is supposed to be a bright guitar (swamp ash with maple neck and fretboard). My other guitars and Telecasters and a P245 Hollow Artist Maple Neck which are all definitely brighter. I would rather have a guitar that has a tendency to be a lil bright and I control with volume/tone. Amps I run: Mesa Rectoverb 25/Cornell Romany 12 and coming Reeves Custom 10HG

So I took the plunge and asked my fave guitar tech to work his magic:
1. Replace the MC Carty's with PRS 85/15 pickup that I have sourced for a good price taken from CE24. I tried the guitar CE24 with Friedman and loved the tone. I wanted a more rocking/high output guitar to contrast the P245, the 85/15 delivers, it's clear and articulate and while it's hot it's controllable. Coil tap it's beautiful since I do tap the coils a fair bit.
2. Replace the middle SD Vintage Rails to Suhr Michael Landau SC. Always wanted to try Suhr pickups and I actually tested and played a Suhr antique just on middle and the 2/4 position exclusively at the shop to gauge the tone. It was either SUHR/Tom Anderson or Fralin but locally only the Suhr had the available stock that I wanted.
3. Will likely keep the switching somewhat stock/similar to existing PRS SAS, likely coil tap neck & middle, Middle, Coil tap Neck, Middle and Treble full, still deciding on this. As you can't tap both the neck and bridge whilst engaging the middle pickup, please correct me if am wrong.
4. For the Ghost system currently it's sent out via stereo/TRS jack, however I asked if I can add a tiny switch hidden in the back plate that can select either send signal stereo/separate and a blend mono, and the Tech says it can be done so am going with that.
5. Going to switch the standard knob with lampshades..

Will upload pics after its done!

Back