PRS S2 pots - PRS vs CTS, others?

ShawnF1222

From what I understand, the S2 electronics aren't the best and may need to be replaced at some point. I noticed the PRS push pull pots are selling for 16 bucks. I checked around and saw name brands like CTS, Bourne and Alpha for much less.

What do you guys prefer and use when you need to replace tone and volume pots?

Are the pots at the PRS Accessory store quality (like for Core) or import?

Last edited:
I had the volume pot on my Vela changed to a CTS one. Removed scratchy noise and provided (in my humble opinion) a more controlled sweep across the volume range

I like every part of the S2 electronics except for the volume pots. IMO, every other S2 part is excellent and not worth replacing unless there is an issue.

I've tried a bunch of different pots and the PRS Core pots are my faves. These are re-branded CTS, made to PRS spec. They have a great taper and they feel very smooth. Some people don't like how easily they turn, though.

I definitely recommend John Mann's Guitar Vault for any PRS parts. He has great prices and he and his wife are great people.

If you're ever buying stuff, the full-size CTS push/pulls are easily my fave. Great feel and the best switching action.

Also, it's worth noting that ALL pots are imported. Even CTS has been manufacturing theirs overseas for decades. Not all CTS are equal; there are several different retailers who order custom spec that I place above the "normal" ones you get from Allparts, etc.

Bourns pots are excellent (some people prefer these to CTS) as are the DiMarzio spec push/pulls. Alpha is okay; not the best feel, but I put them above any of the more generic cheap pots.

CTS is the way to go but will have to ream the holes and replace knobs.

No reaming needed. The S2 volume pots already use the larger, imperial diameter. The push/pull tones use the slimmer metric spec, but so do the Core guitars.

S2 models already have the same knobs as Core, so no worries there. Generally, you can put imperial knobs on metric shafts, but not the other way around. Well, you can force metric knobs onto split-shaft imperial pots, but it's not a great idea.

No reaming needed. The S2 volume pots already use the larger, imperial diameter. The push/pull tones use the slimmer metric spec, but so do the Core guitars.

S2 models already have the same knobs as Core, so no worries there. Generally, you can put imperial knobs on metric shafts, but not the other way around. Well, you can force metric knobs onto split-shaft imperial pots, but it's not a great idea.

Yes, I was thinking SE as typing.

I like every part of the S2 electronics except for the volume pots. IMO, every other S2 part is excellent and not worth replacing unless there is an issue.

I've tried a bunch of different pots and the PRS Core pots are my faves. These are re-branded CTS, made to PRS spec. They have a great taper and they feel very smooth. Some people don't like how easily they turn, though.

I definitely recommend John Mann's Guitar Vault for any PRS parts. He has great prices and he and his wife are great people.

If you're ever buying stuff, the full-size CTS push/pulls are easily my fave. Great feel and the best switching action.

Also, it's worth noting that ALL pots are imported. Even CTS has been manufacturing theirs overseas for decades. Not all CTS are equal; there are several different retailers who order custom spec that I place above the "normal" ones you get from Allparts, etc.

Bourns pots are excellent (some people prefer these to CTS) as are the DiMarzio spec push/pulls. Alpha is okay; not the best feel, but I put them above any of the more generic cheap pots.

Brings up an interesting question if core are rebranded CTS and SE are alpha, What are s2?

The volume pots are from a company out of South Korea called Jin Sung. The push/pulls, I don't know, but the one I have laying around looks and feels very much like an Alpha I had taken out of an SE.

Wonder why the mix?

Garrett, great info brother, thank you!

BTW, I just bought the guitar that is in your profile, same color - PRS S2 Standard in Frost Green from John Mann. They are great people! Fed Ex signed my named but never dropped off the guitar this past Friday. I worked with Roxanne and John on that. As it turns out, Fed Ex scratched off my name and address and dropped at a random house, two blocks away. Why, I have no reason. Maybe they were going to acquire it, and got cold feet. Luckily, the woman of the house called the store and Roxanne called me. I picked it up Monday.

Garrett, great info brother, thank you!

BTW, I just bought the guitar that is in your profile, same color - PRS S2 Standard in Frost Green from John Mann. They are great people! Fed Ex signed my named but never dropped off the guitar this past Friday. I worked with Roxanne and John on that. As it turns out, Fed Ex scratched off my name and address and dropped at a random house, two blocks away. Why, I have no reason. Maybe they were going to acquire it, and got cold feet. Luckily, the woman of the house called the store and Roxanne called me. I picked it up Monday.
Dude, that was almost a horror story! But, you’re right on about John and Roxanne. They’re the best

Dude, that was almost a horror story! But, you’re right on about John and Roxanne. They’re the best

The Fed Ex driver showed up today to insist me that he left the guitar on my front step signed my name bc he saw someone walking around in the house. I reminded him that he was supposed to give it to a person and only sign of the person give permission. (I had gotten through Fed Ex management finally today and they were finally investigating.) I find it usual that he would admit to signing my name and then the guitar shows up at a random address a few blocks away, after I called and put a trace on it Friday. He was very suspicious and continues to lie to management and to me. It would have been cleaner to just say it was left on the truck by mistake and came back and dropped it here. I told FED EX management that maybe he needs better training. So bizarre. John and Roxanne stayed in touch all the way through this experience. They are great, I man glad I found them.

I'll have to do NGD some day, but I am unclear as to how to post photos here. LOL

Wonder why the mix?

I can only guess it's in search of the magic combo of quality and economy. The push/pull isn't exactly like the SE or core parts, though. I like the S2 one slightly better since it has a brass threaded shaft. I really have no idea who makes it, but it's a nice part. The three-way blade is also a nice and mysterious part, like a knock-off of a CRL, not the cheesy box Alphas like the SE guitars.

They use good caps and resistors, too, like the Core guitars.

I can only guess it's in search of the magic combo of quality and economy. The push/pull isn't exactly like the SE or core parts, though. I like the S2 one slightly better since it has a brass threaded shaft. I really have no idea who makes it, but it's a nice part. The three-way blade is also a nice and mysterious part, like a knock-off of a CRL, not the cheesy box Alphas like the SE guitars.

They use good caps and resistors, too, like the Core guitars.

This is all solid info that isn't readily available or easily found searching the net. About all that you read is the SE/S2 electronics are the same which never made full sense to me. Don't get me wrong it made partial sense but not full. I had hopes PRS would do better for the S2.

Back