PRS S2 McCarty 594 - Locking Tuner Replacement

Starting next month, PRS will offer locking tuners with the same footprint and buttons as the current 594 tuners. They'll be available from dealers/distributors and from the PRS accessories page.

Hey Shawn, any idea when these will be available? I don't see them on the site. If the Phase III are a direct drop in, I would order those too, but need confirmation. Thanks!

Hey Shawn, any idea when these will be available? I don't see them on the site. If the Phase III are a direct drop in, I would order those too, but need confirmation. Thanks!
The Phase III ARE a direct drop in. I did a set on my 594 after Shawn confirmed that in another thread, or maybe it was a DM. Another forum member did them on his S2 and also confirmed they were a direct drop.

The Phase III ARE a direct drop in. I did a set on my 594 after Shawn confirmed that in another thread, or maybe it was a DM. Another forum member did them on his S2 and also confirmed they were a direct drop.
Awesome. Thank you.

IDK if it was me...the Phase 3 are a direct drop in. However if you go with all gold the post ferrules will need swapping or it will look funky.

The back of the head stock will still show the footprint of the Klusons also. That said, the Phase 3 are KICK-ASS!

I read that they put the non-locking tuners on the S2 594s as they sounded better than the locking tuners. Anyone compared the two?

I read that they put the non-locking tuners on the S2 594s as they sounded better than the locking tuners. Anyone compared the two?
Not exactly the same, but I went from P3 locking to the new vintage locking tuners on my McCarty 594 and it smoothed out the mids a touch and added a slight bit more sparkle to the high end. It was subtle but noticeable. That said I don’t know that it’s enough of a tone difference to change the tuners if you prefer one over the other for function. My 594 sounds great with either tuner type, just a little different. I changed mine because I feel like the vintage “kluson” style tuners go along with the overall vibe of the 594.

would these 594s also be a direct replacement on a 2002 mccarty?????????????

would these 594s also be a direct replacement on a 2002 mccarty?????????????
Negative. The collars are smaller. You’d could put a set of these in if you were able to get the collars out. I tried on my SC Ted, but couldn’t get them to budge. I ended up with a set of Kluson lockers that fit.

Funny I tired for remove an s2 594 collar for the kluson revolutions. It’s really not easy to remove. The Zach myers was a cinch.

Back