PRS pickup issue

Nealbbn

Hi all,

I've recently developed a problem with my PRS Clint Lowery SE and wondered if anyone could help.

A few weeks ago I noticed that while palm muting open D chords that there was a very unpleasant low bass noise, kind of like a rumble or 'woof' underneath the tone that was not present before. I tried dialling all all the bass from my amp, but it was still present.

At first I thought I had blown a speaker as the guitar tone wasn't right, it had become muddy.

I've since had all the wrong re-soldered and the pickups re-waxed to no avail. The guitar still isn't as bright and responsive as it was when I first got it. It now seems as if the higher strings have more dynamics than the lower strings.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried another guitar on the amp to rule that out? Is it a tube amp? I had a similar issue with a Bogner Alchemist I had and it turned out the amp had some issues. Not sure if that's the problem but it may be worth looking at.

Hi,

Yeah I tried another guitar it had no issues. I've since had to install new pickups in the guitar. The stock one's had completely failed. Tried re waxing them to no avail, so decided to replace them.

Back