PRS CE 24 - Note turns into harmonic

I just carefully anchored the headstock against my wooden table and it worked: the wolf note went missing, at least on its usual place. So unless I attach a piece of wall to the headstock I need to find some way to add mass to the guitar.

At least I now know the root of the problem, something I haven't been able to achieve in the last 2 or 3 months! Kudos to this wonderful community.

I just carefully anchored the headstock against my wooden table and it worked: the wolf note went missing, at least on its usual place. So unless I attach a piece of wall to the headstock I need to find some way to add mass to the guitar.

At least I now know the root of the problem, something I haven't been able to achieve in the last 2 or 3 months! Kudos to this wonderful community.
You could try something like this.

I’d stick a few wheel weights on the back of the headstock and call it a day.
After all, you’re the only one that will see it (them).
Just don’t add too many. Then you’ll have neck dive and then we venture into a “The Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly” scenario.:)

I would experiment with different amounts of weight to figure out how much you want to add. You may be able to add it with something that isn't real noticeable. You may be able to change the tuner buttons and add or lose a little weight that way. I happen to have my CU22 out. I put pearloid buttons on it years ago. I have never noticed any strange artifacts on this guitar. However, I may really check it out and if I find anything put the stock tuner buttons back on. They are much heavier than the ones that are on it now. You may be able to do something like that.

I will definitely get the fender sustain enhancer to hopefully fix the issue as soon as possible and then yeah, I'll start looking for some other less visible options like the tuners.

I have to admit that having that wolf note has become a good exercise of "know your fretboard notes": I constantly find myself on the situation of having to change, on the fly, where I fret my notes to avoid the harmonics, which is kinda fun...sometimes at least. Who knows, maybe I will end up missing them once they are gone.

In the early 2000's Paul decided to increase the length of the neck heel (thus shortening the neck) to help eliminate a dead spot some players were complaining about. I never noticed it on my 1995 CU22 but I sure noticed that long neck heel on my 2002 CU22 and that guitar didn't resonate or sound as good as my '95. It never became a favorite.

There was quite a controversy over this change in the neck heel. Most people didn't like it.

Ed Roman thought it was a mistake (so did I) and he thought the "problem" could have been corrected by putting a lead weight somewhere in the neck heel and leaving the neck heel size as it was.

Used double face tape to stick some random weight to the back of the headstock of my SE custom 24, helped with the issue.

By the way, the anchor against door test is brilliant!

Anyway, it is crazy that this happens in PRS. I’ve had a bunch of cheap Ibanez, LTDs and other generic brands, never had this issue before.

Back