PRS CE-22 (1994) - Dragon replacement

boardn10

Hey guys,

Looking for something less aggressive and hard in my CE-22.
I love the Dragon bridge for some stuff but I'm struggling with it for older rock and metal. Looking for maybe a softer feel like an Alnico pickup, etc.
Any PRS suggestions? I'd rather keep my coild split options, so I guess I'd have to stick to PRS pickups.
Its weird because the Tremonti and SC250 pups I have feel softer and more chewy than my Dragon.
Thanks

Try lowering the pickups before you swap them.

The dragon 1s in my 97 CE22 are sitting pretty low in the pickup rings. In fact, I have brass chrome rings which are really thin so that allows them to be lower yet.

I'll never swap pickups in this guitar as the dragon 1s just sound phenomenal.

If that doesn't work then 5909s should be your choice.

I love me some Dragon I pickups. I have a set in my 97 CE 22 and they're outstanding, though that's my C# standard tuned guitar. That said if you want a less aggressive pickup, 57/08 or 59/09's will do well. If you want to branch out from PRS pickups, you certainly can and still have coil splitting options, just make sure that you have a 4 conductor lead. In the event that you elect to branch out from PRS pickups, I'd highly recommend either the Abraxas, Mule, or VHII from Bare Knuckle. I have an Abraxas set in my S2 Custom 22 Semi Hollow and absolutely love them.

Thanks guys.
I tried Dragon IIs years ago and didn't like.
I recall trying 58/08s or whatever they were called and preferred the Dragons.
I like pickups that sound fat and full and lowering the Dragon bridge is helping so I'll play around a bit more with these.
My other main guitars have PRS SC250s and Suhr Aldrich pickups.

I don't like pickups to be too low as I find they thin out, lose percussiveness and tightness.

Regarding bass pickup rings, can't you just use the stick treble ring and lower the pickup below the ring? I don't think I need to go that low.

Last edited:
I love the Dragon 1 as a really hot PAF tone. The neck pickup is my all time favorite PRS neck pickup

Try playing with the pickup height before you give up on a pickup set. Youd be surprised how much it affects tone and output.

Btw, if you change, I recommend bareknuckle stuff. Try the Mule set. Abraxas is my favorite model, but the bridge is quite hot.

I am going to mess more with height.
Like I said though farther away usually results in a less percussive, less a tight tone. I like the added compression and juice from having the pickup around 2/32" or so. I'll drop it some.

That said, I won't sell them if I replace with aftermarket pickups. I'd keep this off to the side as I would regret selling a PRS set. Just like the SC250s in my SC250, are great.
I was also comparing these to my Suhr Aldrich set, currently in my LP.
The guitar itself obvious, also adds to the equation.

Side note, I find my lighter weight guitars sound bigger, more full and 3-D. My CE-22 is an older Alder/maple top model that has some good weight for its size.
By comparison, my SC250 is about 8.4 lbs compared to my heavier LPs. I also compared to a heavier SC250 (9.2 lbs) and I find the lighter weight SC to sound the biggest, but that could also have to do with other factors.
My LP seems sweeter, but not necessarily fatter.

I actually find ceramic based pickups to be pretty fat sounding overall. Certainly not harsh.

Try lowering the pickups before you swap them.

The dragon 1s in my 97 CE22 are sitting pretty low in the pickup rings. In fact, I have brass chrome rings which are really thin so that allows them to be lower yet.

I'll never swap pickups in this guitar as the dragon 1s just sound phenomenal.

If that doesn't work then 5909s should be your choice.
I'm still struggling with this.

I can't lower the Dragon bridge pickup because the stock screw is too short. I can't go lower than 2/32".

I tried longer screws but they just hit the wood in the cavity so I went back to stock screws and they have to remain pretty high.

That said to me the Dragon bridge lacks the clarity of a pickup like the Tremonti.
Also, because it is ceramic, I feel it is very immediate in response and I like a little more give.
My Dragon bridge pickup is sort of muddy compared to the Tremonti that I tried. That too is ceramic but I may try something like an Aldrich or Wolfetone Timbrewolf which are a few of my favorites.

You don’t need to stick with PRS pickups as long as you use pickups that can split with factory wiring. Most of the time that is a four conductor harness. Lots of manufacturers offer this. But buyer beware different manufacturers have different wire color codes. All available online etc. it is going down the pickup rabbit hole though but it can be very rewarding. Good luck and lots of great guidance on this forum.

You don’t need to stick with PRS pickups as long as you use pickups that can split with factory wiring. Most of the time that is a four conductor harness. Lots of manufacturers offer this. But buyer beware different manufacturers have different wire color codes. All available online etc. it is going down the pickup rabbit hole though but it can be very rewarding. Good luck and lots of great guidance on this forum.
My five way rotary pot died and I didn't want to pay $150 for a new rotary pot. I never used the split tones since I hate the drop in volume so I got rid of all the extra tones. It's just bridge, middle and neck now.
If I'm ever in a situation or band where I need the split tones, I can rewire.
Non of my singlecuts have split wiring either. Always sounds thin to me.

Thanks guys.
I tried Dragon IIs years ago and didn't like.
I recall trying 58/08s or whatever they were called and preferred the Dragons.
I like pickups that sound fat and full and lowering the Dragon bridge is helping so I'll play around a bit more with these.
My other main guitars have PRS SC250s and Suhr Aldrich pickups.

I don't like pickups to be too low as I find they thin out, lose percussiveness and tightness.

Regarding bass pickup rings, can't you just use the stick treble ring and lower the pickup below the ring? I don't think I need to go that low.
I put the thinner chrome brass rings on there mostly because I was going for a Black/chrome theme but the stock screws were a little shorter so the thinner rings helped get it lower.

It has been my experience that lowering PUs makes them a little clearer and a little less compressed.

Just depends on what you're trying to achieve.

I have noticed that PRS has improved their pickup designs. Even the 57/08 set sounds and feels better than the Dragons to me. I love those 57/08s.

I may grab a 59/09. I believe it is also Alnico II.

I picked up a Wolfetone Fenris which is Alnico II. It's an amazing pickup as well.
I installed a Timbrewolf into my CE22 tonight and I am enjoying it quite a bit.

I was disappointed the 5-way rotary on my CE22 died as it did on the Custom 22 I owned. I also had several pots go bad, which seems odd.

I'm still struggling with this.

I can't lower the Dragon bridge pickup because the stock screw is too short. I can't go lower than 2/32".

I tried longer screws but they just hit the wood in the cavity so I went back to stock screws and they have to remain pretty high.

That said to me the Dragon bridge lacks the clarity of a pickup like the Tremonti.
Also, because it is ceramic, I feel it is very immediate in response and I like a little more give.
My Dragon bridge pickup is sort of muddy compared to the Tremonti that I tried. That too is ceramic but I may try something like an Aldrich or Wolfetone Timbrewolf which are a few of my favorites.
Lower the dragon and raise the poles on the screw side to taste per string!!! Think of it as a fine tuner for each string on the pickups!

Back