PRS Cases Have Changed

I’m gonna say no.t the same case. No mention of birds inside or outside either.

However the OP for the other thread should be able to clarify.

A molded case lid will probably always move more that a wooden one, but it doesn’t mean that they give less protection.

If the latches are anything like an SKB case, then they’re will be solid.

Yeah, I didn't think the new travel cases were in any way related to this thread at all, I just happened to "resurrect" it while the thread about the new travel cases popped up. My inquiry in this thread is purely about the "new" Core cases the OP had mentioned a few months back, unrelated to the product that just launched.

FWI, honestly, I don't have an issue with PRS changing up their cases one way or another. Regardless of who makes them or where they come from, I have enough faith PRS that they're going to provide a good case with their guitars.

This was purely out of curiosity and my being interested in what they're doing as a company to mitigate the undeniable rise in costs in all sectors of commerce. If a newer "less-expensive" case is what they decided to do, that's fine by me.

PRS is also great about responding to feedback. So, if a case is not preforming well, and they get enough negative feedback, I trust they'll make changes to accommodate their customer base.

Well, I may be able to help a little. I purchased a PRS Studio in the fall. The build date is in May of 23. The case that I received with it is different than my other PRS cases.

The Tolex is like the OP mentioned. It is more of a matte finish and feels like it is softer and less resilient than the older version.

My Studio case does feel lighter than my other cases. I can't say the lid is flimsy when I open the case. It feels about the same as my others.

Where my case differs from the OP is that mine has the strap with the snap on the compartment. The lid is a little different and fits into it's compartment a little different than my other cases.

I did find a sticker inside of the case between the case and foam that says it is made in China.

Ok, so it does sound like they changed 'em up....interesting. Thank you for the extra info!

The last PRS I bought brand new was in '22 and that case was the same as all my other (Core model, non-WL) guitars, with the same tagging inside and compartment details....so this definitely piqued my curiosity.

If you have time / interest, pics would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Well, I may be able to help a little. I purchased a PRS Studio in the fall. The build date is in May of 23. The case that I received with it is different than my other PRS cases.

The Tolex is like the OP mentioned. It is more of a matte finish and feels like it is softer and less resilient than the older version.

My Studio case does feel lighter than my other cases. I can't say the lid is flimsy when I open the case. It feels about the same as my others.

Where my case differs from the OP is that mine has the strap with the snap on the compartment. The lid is a little different and fits into it's compartment a little different than my other cases.

I did find a sticker inside of the case between the case and foam that says it is made in China.
Super-duper rare TRANSITIONAL CASE!
I’d go with that.:p:D

Man, I have the mult-fit PRS case for the Santana SE and it's a tank. I'm curious when they changed the cased because the one I have is one I bought new this year from Sweetwater. Probably the most well made and quality case I've ever laid hands on. That said, the only issue I have is that it's too heavy which is why I went with a Fender limited case for the Silver Sky SE.

Light is okay but not too late. There's gotta be a balance. Maybe PRS is trying to be as light as possible, hence the new plastic tuning heads. Who knows?

Back