PRS Cases Have Changed

Faded

I recently purchased a new core guitar (Aug ‘23 build) and the case is markedly different from the ones that have come with core and above PRS instruments in the past. A few notes…

It has a different, more matte tolex covering that is somewhat prone to scuffs.

It’s lighter weight. The top is somewhat flimsy when opening and closing.

The interior storage lid does not latch with the button. It just pushes in on itself when attempting to secure it.

I don’t mind those as I use a Reunion Blues double bag to transport outside the house, but just an interesting note.

Last edited:
That is disappointing. I definitely want my guitars in good sturdy cases. I am not bothered by the weight or bulk. I store them in the cases and I want something that can hold up to being tossed around when loading in and out. It used to be an expected thing with buying vintage guitars to have an original HS case with the guitar. It could make or break a sale. I am not spending the kind of money a core guitar costs without getting a good HS case with it. I want my investment protected.

Next thing you know, it will be nothing more than a basket case (which some refer to as a gig bag) ;~)) Besides, I don't need no stinkin' cases (says Prince as he rides through Purple Rain with guitar strapped across his back)!

All jokes aside, I like a good protective case. I have purchased gator titans for a couple of my guitars and I really like them (water proof and nearly bullet proof though I have not tested). As for the guitar and the case it comes with, I don't really care if my guitar (whether it is $1k or $100k) comes with the case I want, as long as I feel the guitar itself is worth what I paid for it. I will be fine finding a case that matches my needs if I do not get what I want from the manufacturer.

'member the old days when a PRS case weighed 17 pounds empty, and it could easily stand up to the abuse of uncaring shippers? 'member?
The one that came with my WL DGT (2023 build) a few weeks ago weighs over 18 pounds. It's the same case they've been using for quite a few years.

I haven't seen the new Core cases - assuming they've changed - I'll reserve judgment until I've had a chance to check it out.

Anybody else get one of these cases? Everything I've seen since this post has been the usual case. Was this just a rare occurrence?

Anybody else get one of these cases? Everything I've seen since this post has been the usual case. Was this just a rare occurrence?
This thread was about changed that were made to the old style wood cases. There is a thread for the new molded cases.

This thread was about changed that were made to the old style wood cases. There is a thread for the new molded cases.

Right, I'm curious about this thread's original topic. I've seen the thread about the new molded cases as well, which look great to me.

But I'm still curious if this was a random occurrence with this particular case, or if somebody else has had a similar experience as the OP.

Right, I'm curious about this thread's original topic. I've seen the thread about the new molded cases as well, which look great to me.

But I'm still curious if this was a random occurrence with this particular case, or if somebody else has had a similar experience as the OP.

Me too.

Unfortunately the OP hasn’t been here since Dec 2023.

The mystery continues.... 😔

I’m gonna say not the same case. No mention of birds inside or outside either.

However the OP for the other thread should be able to clarify.

A molded case lid will probably always move more that a wooden one, but it doesn’t mean that they give less protection.

If the latches are anything like an SKB case, then they’re will be solid.

Last edited:

Me too.

Unfortunately the OP hasn’t been here since Dec 2023.

Well, I may be able to help a little. I purchased a PRS Studio in the fall. The build date is in May of 23. The case that I received with it is different than my other PRS cases.

The Tolex is like the OP mentioned. It is more of a matte finish and feels like it is softer and less resilient than the older version.

My Studio case does feel lighter than my other cases. I can't say the lid is flimsy when I open the case. It feels about the same as my others.

Where my case differs from the OP is that mine has the strap with the snap on the compartment. The lid is a little different and fits into it's compartment a little different than my other cases.

I did find a sticker inside of the case between the case and foam that says it is made in China.

Back