PRS 85/15 Pickups Sound Thin for my Style. Will other PRS pickups fix this or is it the guitar?

gcorazza

I have had my Custom 22 for a couple of years now, and have had it for sale for almost a year now, but am considering keeping it if I could improve it significantly. My main axe is a customized Tele (Showmaster) that has Lindy Fralin pickups and has smokin tone and power and compared to it, the PRS sounds so weak and thin, especially in the upper registers of the high strings E,B, and G. Not sure if I could do better with other PRS pickups or if its just the guitar? Considering Lindy Fralins or Lollars as well, but I've been told that PRS guitars are balanced optimally with the stock pickups. Any one else have the same complaint or any suggestions? Thanks

Have you tried adjusting the pickup height? That can make a world of difference. Just go slow, really listen, and keep track of how much you've adjusted so you can move back.

If you've tried that already, then yes, there are tons of other pickups that may take you where you want to go, whether PRS or other. We don't all like the same thing - there are PRS pickups that some people adore that I had nothing but bad experiences with (and it was multiple guitars). As far as the guitars being "balanced optimally with the stock pickups", well, again - we're all different. Just because Paul likes it doesn't mean everyone else will. And I suspect that comment was more in line with the TCI process, which is an attempt to make the combinations more consistent.

Short version is there is no "optimal" for everyone, but there is an "optimal" for you. If it takes different pickups but you like the guitar, why not try it?

Agree with above post 100%. Adjust your pickups. If it still doesn't work swap away for whatever use/tone you're going for. Optimal to one person isn't the next. Rig and player matter.

I find this post rather odd. Tone is subjective and everybody knows that but having core 8515 pickups in my McCarty for a while I'm inclined to think something is not right with your guitar.

I never cared for the 8515 bridge pickup after about 2 minutes of playing it. I would say it was actually fairly weak and uninspiring.

Neck pickup was a different story. It was full , thick and glorious. It over powered all bridge pickups i threw in it.

So I guess MY question would be, does the entire guitar sound weak and thin or just bridge pickup?

Step one is to make sure everything is soldered correctly. PRS puts the pickup and control schematics on their website. Should be pretty simple to make sure something isn't wired wrong.

If the basic wiring is right, by all means try pickup height adjustment.

If that doesn't work, it might be time to look at aftermarket pickups.

I don't really have anything new to add. As mentioned, make sure all of the connections are solid, then move to adjusting the pickups. It really does make a world of difference with PRS pickups. If that doesn't get you there, there are many pickups that will drastically change what you are hearing now. That is another whole discussion. You will want to know what you really don't like about what it has in it now and what you really want it to do.

Neck pickup was a different story. It was full , thick and glorious. It over powered all bridge pickups i threw in it.
I have yet to find a neck pickup that doesn't overpower the bridge pickup in one way or another. You name the adjustments to both pickups and I've tried them.

This isn't for everyone, but I use a Pod Go at church. The only way to get around this (for me) is: in reach preset there are 4 snapshots. I set snapshot 1 for the bridge pickup, 2 is for the middle position, 3 is for the neck pickup and 4 is for the swells. This way no pickup or combination of the two overrides the other. This way I get equal volume and balance of tone. The pickups sound like they should in their respective positions with no aspect of any pickups tone or volume overriding the other. I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea but this works so well for me.

It's either that or spend who knows how much trying to find the right combination of pickups.

I have yet to find a neck pickup that doesn't overpower the bridge pickup in one way or another. You name the adjustments to both pickups and I've tried them.
I don't think I have a neck pickup that overpowers the bridge. I like my neck pickup pretty low and lil raunchier bridge. Maybe that's the difference. I'm also a tweaking swapper to find the pickup match and tone I want.

I don't think I have a neck pickup that overpowers the bridge. I like my neck pickup pretty low and lil raunchier bridge. Maybe that's the difference. I'm also a tweaking swapper to find the pickup match and tone I want.
If I was going to get a new neck pickup, offhand I'd try something like a 5% underwound neck pickup from Lindy Fralin in an attempt to get the "boom" out of the sound. If I remember right, while reading some reviews on Lindy's website, one guy talked to Lindy who agreed to send him a pickup that was 10% underwound because he didn't think 5% would be enough. I seem to remember the customer loved it.

I can lower the neck pickup and get the boom out. But there goes any clarity and it makes for a lousy middle sound.

I can lower the neck pickup and get the boom out. But there goes any clarity and it makes for a lousy middle sound.
That's where I differ too. I find more clarity, dynamics, and chime in lower pickup height without the boom or mud. Now middle, can sometimes have more neck character than bridge, unless the bridge is pretty fat or I have four knobs to work that out.

Last edited:
That's where I differ too. I find more clarity, dynamics, and chime in lower pickup height without the boom or mud. Now middle, can sometimes have more neck character than bridge, unless the bridge is pretty fat or I have four knobs to work that out.
Same for me. Lowering pickup tends to gain more clarity and less boomy.

Do you use a fairly decent length of cable? Do you have other guitars with a treble bleed cap on the volume? It could be that even with the volume on full the treble bleed cap on the volume is letting treble through whilst the capacitance of the cable/your setup is taking off some of the bass. Before changing pickups just unsolder one of the legs of the capacitor on the volume pot and see if that helps you

Back