Probably a dumb question...

TheWeez

I picked up an SE Custom 24 as it seemed like a great guitar for the money. I've since fallen in love with it and generally don't play my others much. One thing I'd like to do is replace the pickups. Not exactly what I'm looking for but the stockers seems sort of "limp" for lack of a better word. So here's the dumb question. Are all humbuckers capable of splitting the coils? I definitely don't want to lose that functionality.

On that note, any of you have a good PU suggestion? I put a set of Carvin pickups of some sort in my Les Paul many years ago and it really woke it up. Granted the stock pickups are pretty good but it just made it come alive. Hoping to get that in the SE. Not complaining at all about the stock pickups, just want to tinker.

Thanks in adavance for any information.

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forum. To answer your questions...

1) Most, but not all, humbuckers can be split these days. When shopping for humbuckers, the description will (should) always say whether they have the ability to be split.

2) What pickups to put into your new guitar is entirely subjective to personal taste. Some like high-output, modern pickups. Some like moderate, warm and vintage sounds from their pickups. Brands that I see most people putting in them are Seymour Duncan and Bare Knuckle pickups. Above all, though, I'd probably just recommend a set of PRS pickups. They have a great selection of different pickups with different vocal character. If you have a sound in mind and can translate that to us here, we may be able to make some recommendations.

Oh...and we all like pictures here, so when you hit the post number requirement (three, I think) we'd be glad to help you figure out how to upload images to the forum!

Congrats again on your new PRS and welcome!!!

Skydog is right. The SE pickups are pretty good. Raise them a half turn at a time until you get a sound you are looking for. Keep track of the number of half turns so you can reset to any level you want once you are through tinkering.

+2 on adjusting the pickups before replacement. PRS pickups are very sensitive to height/ polepiece adjustment. Also look at your amp settings , which will be different from your other guitars. PRS pickups will be cleaner, longer, with more gain than most other pickups!

Always try to tinker with what you have before you make changes. As you do that, you will find what you dont like so making and parts changes is then a more informed decision. Also, look at pedals, amp settings, etc. to see if there is a balance in there somewhere. I am not a fan of a ton of pedals (I bought the amp for how it sounds), but some, even like an EQ can help you get the sound you might want

Back