Private Stock Build

It looks like I’ve decided to take the plunge….is there anything I should know before ordering? I’ve already picked a dealer and got my specs laid out.
That all you need.
Be prepared for more detailed questions about specs than you expected, but mostly just enjoy the process.

Well that went poorly. PRS won’t build a 594 with anything other than Pattern Vintage….then I figured maybe a Tremonti with a 594 body thickness and 2-piece bridge….also no go.

Oh well :( I don’t want to get a PS for strictly aesthetic reasons….so given I can’t get specs I won’t I’ll wait for a cool WL build I guess.

Well that went poorly. PRS won’t build a 594 with anything other than Pattern Vintage….then I figured maybe a Tremonti with a 594 body thickness and 2-piece bridge….also no go.

Oh well :( I don’t want to get a PS for strictly aesthetic reasons….so given I can’t get specs I won’t I’ll wait for a cool WL build I guess.
What's your neck preference?

Yeah, I reached out to a dealer a bit ago. Sadly, it sounds like right now, it is not really as custom as they made it out to be. I wanted a Singlecut Trem for the thinner body, but they said they are only doing current production model bodies right now. They also said no mixing different inlay materials, and that most signature-only features (ie tremonti trem uproute cavity) and pickups are available only on that type of guitar. You are held within some pretty tight bounds for a $12,000+ custom instrument, IMO. For me, if they can't give me nearly exactly what I want or very close to it due to some arbitrary policy like that, then they won't be seeing my 12 grand. Simple as that.

But I recently reached out to a different dealer, Brian's Guitars, which apparently does more PS than most other dealers combined. They are very close with Paul Smith and Paul Miles. They may have more sway with certain options, if you know what I mean. It has been a very enjoyable process so far, in the short time I have been working with them on my PS concept. My dream guitar has changed a bit, and now that I know more about how the constraints, they might actually be able to get me close to what I am after.

You might peruse the current PRS core lineup and find the stock guitar that comes with the highest number of features you want in yours, and then see about modifying from there.

I mean what I want doesn’t even seem that crazy in comparison to what I’ve seen them out out. HSH 594 with Pattern thin or Santana retro neck. That’s it lol

That does not sound overly crazy to me. Maybe another dealer with more sway indeed.

I mean what I want doesn’t even seem that crazy in comparison to what I’ve seen them out out. HSH 594 with Pattern thin or Santana retro neck. That’s it lol

They've been much more flexible in the past. I think the 12+ month wait time might be a reason for them scaling back customization options. Hopefully it is only temporary.

That does not sound overly crazy to me. Maybe another dealer with more sway indeed.
I’m gonna give Brian’s guitars a buzz today I guess. I don’t mind spending 10k on a guitar and waiting 12-18 months, but man it better be exactly what I want lol

For me, if they can't give me nearly exactly what I want or very close to it due to some arbitrary policy like that, then they won't be seeing my 12 grand. Simple as that.
Unfortunately for the custom order customer, they don’t need your money at the moment. When the economy craps out again and they don’t have enough orders, they will start offering all kinds of things to entice buyers.

Unfortunately for the custom order customer, they don’t need your money at the moment. When the economy craps out again and they don’t have enough orders, they will start offering all kinds of things to entice buyers.
This seems to be true, I may have to wait and get the singlecut of my dreams….either that or go double cut 25” scale.

Back