Private Stock 513 - thoughts?

Thanks guys for all your input, this has all been incredibly useful!

Having played my 513s a lot over the past few days, I will keep the five-way / three-way combo as it really is intuitive, but would have the same mod as Anachronism for the option to have the mid-position of the five way give the middle pickup or neck and bridge together - either on a push/pull tone or mini switch.

Today I acquired a 2015 Wood Library McCarty with that rare Indian rosewood neck / ebony fingerboard combination to try. I'll reserve judgement until I've set it up properly (the action is set on the high side) but initial impressions are that (admittedly from my sample of only one of each!) the Indian rosewood feels significantly different to Brazilian. I like both, but the Brazilian feels more textured, the Indian dryer, smoother and more like a satin finished maple neck. And if you're into sniffing necks, the Brazilian smells delicious, the Indian not so much!

I'll hold off on judging tone until I've set it up and compared properly to my other PRSi tomorrow.

Thanks guys for all your input, this has all been incredibly useful!

Having played my 513s a lot over the past few days, I will keep the five-way / three-way combo as it really is intuitive, but would have the same mod as Anachronism for the option to have the mid-position of the five way give the middle pickup or neck and bridge together - either on a push/pull tone or mini switch.

Today I acquired a 2015 Wood Library McCarty with that rare Indian rosewood neck / ebony fingerboard combination to try. I'll reserve judgement until I've set it up properly (the action is set on the high side) but initial impressions are that (admittedly from my sample of only one of each!) the Indian rosewood feels significantly different to Brazilian. I like both, but the Brazilian feels more textured, the Indian dryer, smoother and more like a satin finished maple neck. And if you're into sniffing necks, the Brazilian smells delicious, the Indian not so much!

I'll hold off on judging tone until I've set it up and compared properly to my other PRSi tomorrow.
Sweet!

Back