Pots/Wiring for Tremonti w/ Mule pickup replacement

shep

I bought a new '23 Tremonti in January. I drove 5 hours to get there. I played probably 30 guitars and this one played how I wanted. I knew outta the gate I didn't like the pickups, and that didn't stop me from buying it. I didn't notice wonky pots for the 1st couple months. Even after Deoxit, both volume pots make noise/cut out. I need to change them, but am curious with my pickup choice and the Pat Travers Tribute music I play what pots/ wiring/ caps and what value treble bleeds to have installed that will make the most of the Mule set. Thanks very much!

Last edited:
I find the stock 180 pF treble bleed cap to be just fine. I installed a 500 pF on an Andy Timmons strat and it was VERY bright. Season to taste, but I’d start with the 180 pF. I would use 500k pots for volume and tone as standard. The BKP 550K pots are a bit too strident-sounding for me. Standard .022 uF tone caps will do it. If you find the Mule neck to be too tubby, you can try tuning it with a series cap (.047 uF) on the hot lead. Tie in parallel smaller caps to add more low end (increase total capacitance).

Thanks much for the reply, ViperDoc. I am a total noob to electronics mods. I'm not happy with the loss of treble in both pickups using the PRS pots, even rolled off to 9. By 8 it's murky, I'm guessing because of the 10% audio taper pot. I may go with 20% instead. Is using the same value bleed forboth pickups the typical approach?

Thanks to you both, but that's the treble bleed I have now. For me, the treble rolls off too far, too fast. I said that in my previous post. What works for you does not for me.

Thanks to you both, but that's the treble bleed I have now. For me, the treble rolls off too far, too fast. I said that in my previous post. What works for you does not for me.
You can swap the cap out for a different value and change that. If you don't know what value you like you may have to pick up a multi pack of caps to test them and find out what you like. If it is rolling off too much, you will want to go with a smaller value cap. The bigger you go the lower the frequency it starts to roll off.

Back