Played out this weekend

There will be keys on the album. We had to hire a session guy to come in and fill in some space. He was on a Nord and a Wurlitzer on the couple of songs he was added to so far.
'House of the Rising Sun' was the very first rock keyboard solo I learned as a young teenager. I never forgot it. Alan Price did a terrific job on the record.

As soon as I got a combo organ, I played the song constantly, through an amplifier, loud. Maybe I thought everyone else would love the song as much as I did. Or maybe I was just stupid...

There was a scene in the classic 1976 movie Network, where Howard Beale, the newscaster, lost it and started screaming, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more!!"

That was my father when he lost it, opened the door to the basement and yelled, "If I hear that goddam song one more time I'm going to lose my mind! Stopppppp!"

Back when I was learning to play guitar when I rode a dinosaur to school, there was a local folkie who would do Amazing Grace to the tune of House of the Rising Sun. The phrasing fits the melody perfectly. Many years later, when I was playing in an Americana band, we would do it as part of our set and the kids were wowed by it as they thought it was totally original. It's not. The Alabama Blind Boys recorded it that way decades ago. They were asked to do House, but being a Gospel band, they objected to the lyrics being about a brothel. I've been told you can do The Giligan's Island" theme to the tune as well and the phrasing will fit. Never tried it myself.

Very nice version of the song!

Back when I was learning to play guitar when I rode a dinosaur to school, there was a local folkie who would do Amazing Grace to the tune of House of the Rising Sun. The phrasing fits the melody perfectly. Many years later, when I was playing in an Americana band, we would do it as part of our set and the kids were wowed by it as they thought it was totally original. It's not. The Alabama Blind Boys recorded it that way decades ago. They were asked to do House, but being a Gospel band, they objected to the lyrics being about a brothel. I've been told you can do The Giligan's Island" theme to the tune as well and the phrasing will fit. Never tried it myself.

Very nice version of the song!
Many songs are like that. If you play the song Zombie (Cranberries), you can sing I'm Never Going to Dance Again (George Michael). Farmhouse (Phish), is No Woman No Cry (Bob). In fact, I have seen Phish use their music to lead into other songs that are similar while seeing them live.

There really are only so many progressions that work well in popular, contemporary music. There is bound to be overlap.

Amazing Grace I hadn't thought of though. Let me pick up a fiddle and see. :cool:

Many songs are like that. If you play the song Zombie (Cranberries), you can sing I'm Never Going to Dance Again (George Michael). Farmhouse (Phish), is No Woman No Cry (Bob). In fact, I have seen Phish use their music to lead into other songs that are similar while seeing them live.

There really are only so many progressions that work well in popular, contemporary music. There is bound to be overlap.

Amazing Grace I hadn't thought of though. Let me pick up a fiddle and see. :cool:
It's a neat version with the minor key melody and the key fits my baritone growl, which was one of the reasons I enjoyed doing it. And audiences really seem to like it. I always tried to mention the origin story, which was told to me word of mouth by the person I heard doing it, which, in a Folk tradition, is probably as it should be. I never tried to confirm it by researching it.

'House of the Rising Sun' was the very first rock keyboard solo I learned as a young teenager. I never forgot it. Alan Price did a terrific job on the record.
This seems to conflict with the stories of your old age. Weren’t you a young teenager in the time before electricity was discovered? Is the song old enough that it was played on the harpsichord?

This seems to conflict with the stories of your old age. Weren’t you a young teenager in the time before electricity was discovered? Is the song old enough that it was played on the harpsichord?
Little-known fact: The ancient Greeks invented the organ in the 3rd Century BC. It was called the hydraulis, because the Greeks had mastered hydraulics, and used the weight of water to push the wind through the pipes!

The Romans picked it up around the second century AD, and began to use a bellows to operate the pipes, which was more efficient. It was actually a popular source of music.

So it didn't need electricity.

The harpsichord wasn't invented until the 16th Century. It's a latecomer!

I've told this story before here:

When I was 16-17 I had pretty decent grades and test scores, and was given an interview by the local Harvard rep. Harvard used to have successful grads who were not Harvard employees as gatekeepers to screen out the hot-polloi. The only way you were given an application was to meet with the rep, and impress him enough to offer you an application.

His incredible house had a pipe organ(!). I remarked that it was magnificent.

Then he insisted I play it. I'm sure he thought I'd do some Bach or other serious organ music. I didn't know that stuff back then (I didn't play Bach until much later).

So I played House of the Rising Sun. Because that was my jam!

I followed it up with Green Onions. :rolleyes:

Played the bass lines with my feet, the whole deal.

Words cannot express the puzzled, disappointed expression on his face. At that moment I realized I was far too lowbrow to have a shot at Harvard.

I remember crumpling up the application he was kind enough to give me, and throwing it away when I got home. Frankly, I wasn't Harvard material, which I pretty much knew, and didn't have a clue why he even interviewed me. Maybe it was the SAT scores. I never applied. I happily went to Michigan, and had a ball.

There were times I even studied!! :eek:

It was an afternoon of my typical teenage idiocy. But I'll never forget that pipe organ.

Last edited:
Back