Pickups for 2023 S2 McCarty 594

Telecastermds

Since my SE Hollowbody II has the 8515-S pickups, I'd like to put something different in my S2. Thoughts? My budget would be less than $300 for a set. Also any recommended replacement wiring/pot kits that fit?

I'm looking at:

Dimarzio PAF 57 or 59
Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
PRS Dragon 2's used
Bill n'Becky Wilde Pickups L500
Mojotone 59
EMG Prashant Aswani REV

Last edited:
Since my SE Hollowbody II has the 8515-S pickups, I'd like to put something different in my S2. Thoughts? My budget would be less than $300 for a set. Also any recommended replacement wiring/pot kits that fit?

I'm looking at:

Dimarzio PAF 57 or 59
Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
PRS Dragon 2's used
Bill n'Becky Wilde Pickups L500
Mojotone 59
EMG Prashant Aswani REV
I always recommend Wolfetone. Your selection seems to be on the little bit pushy PAF side of things. His offerings should fall within your budget and he winds a very VERY good PU, and is a great guy to help you decide what to get on top of that.

My CU22 (marshallhead mk 2) and McSoapy (mean and underwound mean) sport his PUs and sound al the more glorious becouse of it.

I am only familiar with his lower gain options, but his higher gain offerings are on my "am intregued" list. However he can also make you some overwound PUs of his standard PUs to make them more tk your liking. Shoot him a message and he will have some good ideas.

And no, I am not on his payroll, just a very satisfied customer.

And too low output if I am correct. The SD 59 is OK, but I would prefer the Pearly Gates, reading the OP preferences. It is a lot bolder IMO.

Looking at Vaughn Skow's and Porter pickups.

Hadn’t seen those Vaughn Skow pickups before. They sound pretty good. Not sure if it’s been posted before but Porter Pickups recently did a video with an S2 and some of their pickups. They sound pretty good, too.

Pickup swaps are a deep rabbit hole. I’ve been down it a few times with a Les Paul. The difference is subtle, that’s for sure. Especially with gain.

Porter is solid. Brian is a talented winder. I have lots of his pickups and a guitar. Wolf from Wolfetone is a great suggestion. One of the best to deal with. Marshallhead bridge and Dr V in the neck. Awesome in a singlecut. Drop him a line, let him know what you want, and go from there. Wolf is the man.

Core pots for me. The taper of the volume pot is where it's at. Runner up RS guitarworks.

You can find used PRS pickups in that budget. 5708 is my favorite set. 5815LT is my favorite neck. 5909 is my favorite bridge. 5708 neck and 5009 bridge combo absolutely rock.. You don't see 5815LT for sale individually much, if ever, but that's a solid choice for the neck instead for a combo. Obviously LTs are a great choice for a set in the 594.

D2, love the neck, very full, the bridge is a little hairy for sure. It's not a set I'd use everyday but a great change up. Probably wouldnt think of them for a 594 first, but could be interesting for sure.

The DW tomahawks are some of my favorite pickups. They are by mojotone and on the DW ce. I have zero experience with the '59 but based on my experience with those I wouldn't hesitate to try.

Hard pass on me for skow. I know nothing about BnB. Pearly Gates are pealy gates. And always been a SD guy before Dimarzio for no particular reason, just worked out that way. My cousin is the opposite.

Last edited:
I’ve unfortunately never bonded with pickups from SD or Dimarzio. Just don’t have the detail of the PRS pickups, and honestly every time I tried them I can’t say I’ve preferred them over the SE/S2 set I’m switching out.

A used set of 57/08 or 59/09 would be at the top of my list. Have recently tried bare knuckle and am impressed with those, too, but again would have to be used. Heard good things about Wolfetone but never tried them.

Back