Pickup ID Help

Azrocker

I purchased this 2011 PRS SC yesterday from GC but there is no hang tag. Is there a way to know what pups are in here short of pulling the neck? I have not been able to find a like guitar with toggle on goog and forum searches. 59/09's or #6's?? No matter what it sounds sweet and cleans up nice.

Appreciate the help.:shakehands:

42dfbf3e-1753-4591-9c5f-aa7767b0fd6b.jpg

As far as I know, #6 only existed with zebra colored bobbins. Possibly uncovered 5909's. Is there a sticker on the end of the case with bunch of numbers and letters(the MODCAT code)? Did you get the guitar used? It's possible someone swapped the pickups. #6's are usually what's in there.

Last edited:
On the next string change remove the 4 screws on the pickup ring and look on bottom of pickup. If somebody changed pickups them modcat won't help you.

Should have been more clear, yes I bought it used. Very clean, just no tag or case candy Or numbers on the case itself. I do not think it has been modified, just trying to figure out what pick ups it would have from the factory.

I will be changing the strings this weekend so I'll pull the neck pick up and I should be able to see on the back and I will post for others who might be curious.

Was Artist Package an option in 2011? Maybe this is an AP guitar with optional pickups. If so, the MODCAT should identify the pickups. My absolutely wild guess is 59/09 pickups.

You certainly don't need to remove a glued-in neck to see what the pickups are. Remove the strings, take the 4 screws out of the cream colored pickup rings, and pull each pickup out, being careful not to drop them on the top. Piece of cake.

I'm pretty sure the year isn't right, are they lampshades? If not, this has to be at least 7 or so years old right? I just can't remember there being a SC trem in 2011 (maybe someone has a price list floating about?)

I'm guessing this is a 2007 that has had the original #6's swapped out with something else.

Definitely not uncovered 53/10s, as far as I can recall, they only existed as uncovered ones in the P22, and they were squabbins.

Edit - yep just looked through the PRS price lists and the last time the SC trem was offered was in 2007

Last edited:
So first I want to say thanks to those who responded to my post. I must give Brad737 the gold award for the funniest post! Removing the "neck" would most certainly have us all crying the blues!!:beer: Desenoj nailed it and Justmund sniffed out more and really peaked my interest as I had never taken my custom 24 pups out to see what lied beneath my Dragon II's coffers.

So the story goes I paid a $1850 plus a Strymon Ola trade at GC for what was represented as simply a 2011 Single cut artist pack. Drum Roll please....See modcat below. Are these Dragon's 6's or do think they were swapped for these and if so what year do you think they might be. Based upon the prs page, the guitar's SN# is likely a 2006 model.

Interesting spec chart below and from another thread in this forum at at http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?8055-List-of-PRS-Pickup-Spec

pickup3.jpg

Here is what they sold me and I'm kinda thinking I got blessed with a sweet addition to my family! What do you think??

d28872c5-2fbe-4b61-b10a-f6ebf0acb2a8.jpg

5cb1b103-6f18-4bb9-9f51-6c8042a92cfd.jpg

MY%20PRS%20SC.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the 6's were pulled and replaced with Dragon I's. Excellent score IMO, one of the most disliked PRS pickups replaced with one of the most desirable (YMMV).

Brazzy board too! Awesome!

You definitely scored. The original Dragons (usually called Dragon Is since those awful Dragon IIs were introduced) are fantastic pickups.

Thanks guys, the guitar gods were smiling on me for sure. Has to be worth more than what I paid right?? Then again, who cares cause it sounds and plays great!

As far as the DII's, mine are in a Custom 24 born 05/10 and it sounds great through a renegade head, MLC 212 loaded with the G12H/V30 speaker combo. I also use a Ho attenuator to push the head. http://hoelectronics.com/wordpress/ho-attenuator/

Out for now but will check in tomorrow. Thx again for your help.

Below is the response from from Sean at PRS. Nothing we did not already figure out but still good customer service.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for contacting PRS Guitars.
Your guitar SN 6 112888 appears to be a 2006 Singlecut trem model Artist package, with an Artist grade maple top, a wide fat carve one piece mahogany neck with a Brazilian rosewood fretboard and paua shell bird inlays. A solid mahogany body with tremolo bridge and gold hardware. PRS 6 pickups and singlecut trem electronics. Finished in Cherrry Sunburst.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Littleton
Paul Reed Smith Guitars, Ltd.
Customer Service

Back