Picks

Adamas is the go to, but I’ve recently started using the Rocky Mountain graphite picks which are based on the same design. As they are both black, graphite and the same thickness and dimensions, I rarely know which is actually in my hand.

After Les talked about Blue Chip picks years ago, I switched over and never looked back.

TD 60 is my go to, but recently picked up (couldn’t resis!) the TD 40 and TD 35 for strumming on my acoustic guitars.
I tried a blue chip pick about 4 years ago after various talk here, also a TD60. It was very expensive, specially once imported to the UK and all the tax paid, but despite the price it was still about the cheapest nice bit of guitar gear I could afford at the time ( couldn't afford guitars, amps or pedals but could afford a guitar pick). Still using it almost exclusively today (have added a TD40 that I use in alternation). Still looks like it has no wear, even the gold lettering is still all there and I have used it a lot over the last few COVID years!!

Like most I collect them , friends give them to me . Playing wise though , Fender or PRS mediums ..the ones that look like abalone..

I have used Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks (purple) for years. I also bought some PRS picks of the same thickness and material. I have some Tortex picks that are thinner as well, yellow and green. I find that sometimes going to a thinner pick gives me a different sound that I like. I prefer a pick with no or very low flex. I like the material of these picks for how they interact with the strings and they don't give me the pick noise that the Ultex picks did. I didn't stay with those for long due to that.

Never understood how people can switch between picks - specifically pick thickness. If I don't have a fender medium in my hands I feel like i'm at sea. I don't even like the white ones. Tortiseshell only. :) I rotate it so I'm picking with one of the shoulders too.

I Started Using These When They First Came Out And Am Really Happy With The Sound, Feel, Size, Grip, Durability, Etc. I Find Them To Be Outstanding.

I Also Am A Fan Of The Ultex 1.14

Never understood how people can switch between picks - specifically pick thickness. If I don't have a fender medium in my hands I feel like i'm at sea. I don't even like the white ones. Tortiseshell only. :) I rotate it so I'm picking with one of the shoulders too.
I mostly use my Blue Chip picks, and have different shapes for different purposes, but sometimes I want that clacky thing I can only get with a celluloid pick on an acoustic guitar, so I have a bunch of those for the purpose. I guess that explains why I switch between picks from time to time.

I've also got gobs of Tortex and Ultex Jazz IIIs I used before I switched to the Blue Chips. I still use them for bass when not playing with my fingers.

Those look interesting!

What 'legendary' pick is the site talking about?

Adamas. Which are now made by Dunlop, and some claim the current version to be inferior to the original. I can't tell, I'm not that picky. ;)

Edited to say, if you haven't played with graphite picks, they can take a little getting used to. I find that the pick angle and how much "meat" of the pick you apply can really change your tone- in a way I find very musical and useful. I've been using them long enough now that I instinctively change the positioning in my hand as I switch, say, from chords to single note play. Graphite picks also have a distinctive squawk when you get the right attack angle which is really cool once you get used to it.

Adamas. Which are now made by Dunlop, and some claim the current version to be inferior to the original. I can't tell, I'm not that picky. ;)

Edited to say, if you haven't played with graphite picks, they can take a little getting used to. I find that the pick angle and how much "meat" of the pick you apply can really change your tone- in a way I find very musical and useful. I've been using them long enough now that I instinctively change the positioning in my hand as I switch, say, from chords to single note play. Graphite picks also have a distinctive squawk when you get the right attack angle which is really cool once you get used to it.
I guess I should try a few of them. It's always good to have choices for times when I want to mess with a different type of tone and pick attack.

Back