Pick ups

xchefdino

I have a 2021 CE custom 24. The pickups are to modern sounding for me. I love the split coil and pretty much just use the single coil option cause the humbucker is too modern for me. They are the 85/15 pups. I want a more vintage pup to swap out. Must have coil split. Any recommendations?

57/08’s come to mind they would sound a little more on the “vintage” side though I don’t know what exactly people mean by modern / vintage voiced ( not aimed at you). But like anything you do there would most likely be a trade off. I can say I’m not a fan of 85/15’s never was but I agree with you they split really nice. So that being said you may like the 57/08’s but the split might not be the same as the 85/15’s. It’s always a trade off. As far as CE24’s go I have two both with 59/09’s (described as modern ugh) and it’s my fav PRS pup but the splits are just okay. I have 57/08’s in a Singlecut and again the splits are just okay. More peeps will chime in here soon I suspect. Lots of good info on this forum.

57/08’s come to mind they would sound a little more on the “vintage” side though I don’t know what exactly people mean by modern / vintage voiced ( not aimed at you). But like anything you do there would most likely be a trade off. I can say I’m not a fan of 85/15’s never was but I agree with you they split really nice. So that being said you may like the 57/08’s but the split might not be the same as the 85/15’s. It’s always a trade off. As far as CE24’s go I have two both with 59/09’s (described as modern ugh) and it’s my fav PRS pup but the splits are just okay. I have 57/08’s in a Singlecut and again the splits are just okay. More peeps will chime in here soon I suspect. Lots of good info on this forum.
Doing the "partial split" method through a resistor to ground (1.1K resisitor for the neck and 2.2K for the bridge) does result in a stronger tone when the coils are split.

The DGT uses the same or a similar method.

It works!

I did that on the Singlecut sounds good but it’s the levels that I fight with a little. That being said it’s not required but just another option for me.

The humbuckers that split best have very asymmetric coils, which aren't an especially vintage trait. You might check out Lindy Fralin's Unbuckers, which I've heard good things about, but have never heard. You might also look for an aftermarket pickups/wiring harness from an SE Paul's Guitar. (These sound divine split, with almost no volume drop, and they're still in the vintage range as humbuckers. I just find the series sound congested.)

My humbucker that splits best is a Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid bridge pup, which is 7K + 4K in series, and sounds like a real single-coil pup when split to the 7K coil. But the 11K series combination is hotter and angrier than vintage.

FWIW, I originally wanted to replace the 85/15 S neck pup that came with my now-favorite PRS guitar. The lack of articulation sounded non-PRS. Then I took it to a rehearsal, and heard how nicely its soft attack sat in a mix with other instruments. Ever since, I've loved it and its bridge counterpart.

Can I just swap out the neck 57/08, and keep the 85/15 in bridge. Would that sound muddy. I guess it would just be in the middle position. I love using the neck in my 03 single cut standard. It is a number 7 bass pup. It sounds great. I’m looking for that tone from the neck

Can I just swap out the neck 57/08, and keep the 85/15 in bridge. Would that sound muddy. I guess it would just be in the middle position. I love using the neck in my 03 single cut standard. It is a number 7 bass pup. It sounds great. I’m looking for that tone from the neck
My 57/08's are not muddy in any position. I don't see any reason not to do that if you like the 85/15 as a bridge pickup.

That said, the 57/08 is my favorite PAF style bridge pickup.

Thanks guys. 1 more question. I saw a 57/08 bass pups for sale on reverb. It didn’t say anything about coil split so my question is do they all coil split. This one was
acc 3413 57/08

Thanks guys. 1 more question. I saw a 57/08 bass pups for sale on reverb. It didn’t say anything about coil split so my question is do they all coil split. This one was
acc 3413 57/08

Ask the seller.

Mine were splittable.

The older ones in my 2012 SC58 were not.

acc 3413 57/08

It's new..they split. I think I read about some older sets having a version that doesn't split for a model. But I could very well be getting that confused. All the new ones spilt.

It's new..they split. I think I read about some older sets having a version that doesn't split for a model. But I could very well be getting that confused. All the new ones spilt.
The 57/08's in my 2012 SC58 don't split.

They're not out of phase either. The new ones I bought are out of phase. So you have reverse the lead wires on one.

The 57/08's in my SC58 are also not quite as hot and ballsy as those in my other guitars, which is one reason I play my Bernies w/57/08's more than I play my SC58.

It's beautifully made but I prefer the sound of my Bernies now that I've tweaked them to my own tastes.

I would never alter the SC58, which takes away a little of the fun of owning it for me...obsessive tweaker with time on his hands that I am.

Last edited:

They're not out of phase either. The new ones I bought are out of phase. So you have reverse the lead wires on one.

The 57/08's in my SC58 are also not quite as hot and ballsy as those in my other guitars, which is one reason I play my Bernies w/57/08's more than I play my SC58.

It's beautifully made but I prefer the sound of my Bernies now that I've tweaked them to my own tastes.

I would never alter the SC58, which takes away a little of the fun of owning it for me...obsessive tweaker with time on his hands that I am.

My SC58 isn't wired to split either.. but I've never opened it up to confirm if it's not wired up to split or if the 5708 in there has the capability to split. I've always assumed it has the older wiring with a white wire to split, but isn't wired. Pure assumption on my part and unsure if its true or not. My SC58 is close to perfection, even if a little bit on the tamer side, and surprisingly my tweakin self has never had the desire to open it up and check. I guess I don't want to mess with a good recipe.

I also prefer the hotter more ballsy new 5708, especially the bridge, I'm happy to have a guitar with the older style to give me more diversity between my 5708 guitars.

Due to our conversations on the in and out of phase 57/08s I bought a pickup polarity tester. What I found was a bit interesting. I was completely wrong on my assessment before when I tested them. The pickups that I put in my SAS that came out of a special run guitar are in phase. The ones I bought from the PRS store and put in my 594 are out of phase. I am now scratching my head. I wired the pickups in the 594 identical to each other after asking PRS about the color codes on the wires. Now I am going to have to leave that guitar out to play it some. I never noticed any sort of out of phase issue when running both pickups together.

I tested the pickups in the piezo equipped guitars I have and those 57/08s are out of phase, which I expected from reading threads about swapping pickups in the P22 and P24 guitars.

Back