Pending NGD...Mira choices

alphasports

Howdy all

Seems like I'm heading for another NGD. I sold my 08 Mira maple top 6 months ago and mostly regret it. I have the opportunity to make up for it by buying one of what I've narrowed down to a couple on local classifieds:

- 2010 Mira 25th Anniversary w birds: charcoal smoke burst (appears to be a fancy name for black). P90's (interesting). No dings, little wear. No chance to play it before buying it. $1100 CDN.

- 2008 Mira Standard w birds, dead stock original mahogany Mira. Owner claims near-mint. Lowest he'll go from $1600 CDN is $1450. Pretty high for a MIra.

Leaning to the P90 25th Anniversary.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Last edited:
Played a buddy's 24th Mira, very, very cool guitar. Plus it should come with that Bangin'! white case.

Ya he says it's the OHSC...but we all know that's open for interpretation!

Ha! Right?

I guess some came with plain ol' black cases too... Maybe act disappointed if it is in one and then shoot him a lower offer. Otherwise you can sell the white one to a luggage freak.

Ya the 08 mapletop that I sold was 9.5/10 and it still took 2 months to unload at $900 CDN pesos, stupid to sell it but didn't lose anything. An undervalued guitar for sure.

Just did a bit of looking on reverb.com. The price on the 25th anniversary seems in line with others. The other one, not so much. In fact, it looks like one on reverb is in the same color. It's translucent black. Looks cool, IMO.

Am biased as I put P90 style pickups in my Mira X but would suggest going for the 25th. Those do have a short scale and standard neck carve. The birds and inlay in the headstock make it a really cool looking guitar.

Just me, but I've got to put it in my hands first before the $$ comes out of my pocket.
I'd do the blindfold test, go to a shop that has a few mira, close my eyes and let my ears and fingers make the decision.
Again, that's just me.

I'm getting an unusual case of cold feet I think... Turns out the nice 25th Anniv case was pilfered by a previous owner, and I doubt the current case is fit for the specific cut of a Mira, so even though I personally don't care much about the case, that's no good for eventual resale. And we all KNOW it'll eventually get resold! Add the fact I can't see it first and I think I'll just keep looking...

Cheers

Two very different guitars. 25th Anniversary = 22 frets, 24.5 scale length, Soap Bar Pickups. 2008 Mira = 24 frets, 25" scale length, Mira pickups.

I have a Mira 25th... very cool guitar, but also a different one. The P90's are interesting. First of all, HOT, but that's a good thing. They're HUGE in the mids with the volume at 10, and not a ton of top end, to the point that they almost sound a tad dull played clean. But, with gain, it gives the guitar a massive mid/low-mid push that is incredibly vocal and throaty for leads, and the highs fill out nicely but not piercing. The interesting thing is, unlike HB's, rolling the volume back to 7-8 takes the mid hump out and lets the high end through, almost like a Fender single coil, bright and chimey. Since the pups are so hot, you can roll back the volume for that sparkly clean tone, then crank it up for leads. It's definitely different, never had a guitar that behaves that way. I like it, some would hate it. Just my take, whether you would like that or not is up to you!

One universal, undeniable fact though: they are dead sexy lookin' guitars!

The 245 is almost a no-brainer, see if you can get some money off because of the case issue. Those white 25th anniversary cases scuff up so fast it's not even funny anyway... not seen too many that are remotely close to pristine.

The 245 is almost a no-brainer, see if you can get some money off because of the case issue. Those white 25th anniversary cases scuff up so fast it's not even funny anyway... not seen too many that are remotely close to pristine.

+1 to that, the guitar sees action but the case is a total closet queen! Plus, it weighs about 90 pounds!

Love me some P90, BUT...
One of the most awesome things about the original Mira is that the versatility is YUGE because you can split coil.
Still, the 25th is amazing.

So I am still squarely parked in neutral on this acquisition. On the bright side my CU22 that was attacked by a swarm of Christmas kiddies is on the Fedex truck from 12th Fret after having the chips repaired, so almost like an NGD!

Smart move. Don't pounce until you are ready. Or in the alternative, until a really, really, really hot deal shows up.

Back