Opinion....

markd21

...it looks like I am returning to my progressive/power metal roots. I want a "modern" guitar that brings me back to my ESP/Jackson days. I've only got around $900 to spend....

I have thinking really hard about grabbing an EVH Wolfgang Special second hand. Anybody have experience with one?

What do like/dislike?

Obviously I'll go play one before buying, but I also enjoy opinions from other players so I can be informed about quirks that an instrument may have.

I think it's an interesting guitar, and having had a Peavey Wolfgang TOM in the 90s, the neck shouldn't be weird, but I'm not sure if Fender did any extra carving to the asymmetrical shape of the Peavey neck - which was awesome...

Thanks in advance!!

PS - I'm not considering a PRS for this gig. I've been working through some material with this group and my PRS' don't have the vibe that inspires me to play at 230bpm and play fast, face-melting leads. It's a bummer, but it's an excuse to get something "new" and "different".

...it looks like I am returning to my progressive/power metal roots. I want a "modern" guitar that brings me back to my ESP/Jackson days. I've only got around $900 to spend....

I have thinking really hard about grabbing an EVH Wolfgang Special second hand. Anybody have experience with one?

What do like/dislike?

Obviously I'll go play one before buying, but I also enjoy opinions from other players so I can be informed about quirks that an instrument may have.

I think it's an interesting guitar, and having had a Peavey Wolfgang TOM in the 90s, the neck shouldn't be weird, but I'm not sure if Fender did any extra carving to the asymmetrical shape of the Peavey neck - which was awesome...

Thanks in advance!!

PS - I'm not considering a PRS for this gig. I've been working through some material with this group and my PRS' don't have the vibe that inspires me to play at 230bpm and play fast, face-melting leads. It's a bummer, but it's an excuse to get something "new" and "different".
Can't go wrong with anything in the Charvel San Dimas range, under a grand new.

I've had a Wolfgang Special for many years. Great player, but a word of caution. The frets on these guitars are very small and can wear down very, very quick. I saw one guy on YouTube who said after numerous re-crownigs and fret replacements he made the switch to stainless steel frets.

Have no idea if they are still using the same fret material and the same size frets as on mine.

I've had a Wolfgang Special for many years. Great player, but a word of caution. The frets on these guitars are very small and can wear down very, very quick. I saw one guy on YouTube who said after numerous re-crownigs and fret replacements he made the switch to stainless steel frets.

Have no idea if they are still using the same fret material and the same size frets as on mine.

Thanks. This is the kind of thing I'm curious about. I have a few options in mind, but I'm intrigued by the Wolfgang because it looks different than your normal "metal guitar".

Have been considering Charvel/Jackson again, but Fender has diluted the Jackson line to a bunch of sub-par guitars for what I used to pay for USA Select guitars in the Akai-era. Charvel, on the other hand, is offering cool stuff, but I want something less strat-oriented. The DK models are ok, but none have clicked with me compared to my for Custom Shop Charvel Dinkies.

I already have I banez guitars, a 1987 540s and a 1988 RG560. I could always use those, but any excuse to buy a new guitar...

Right?

I will just add this: I've played a few Wolfgangs over the years but none recently. If you can find one that is even in the ballpark of how great an EBMM Axis is, and you can buy it for under a grand, BUY IT! The Axis is a KILLER rock guitar!

Ibanez is my first choice but there are also some interesting models in the Solar guitar, stainless steel frets, and good quality, very metal type, and reasonable cost, disadvantage, no case and online stores.

Back