NPD: Boss RC600

TheCraftsman

Just a guy who loves music
Maybe an unpopular opinion but just picked up a Boss RC600 today and can’t wait to be able to crack her outta the box and get creative. Sure, I have a DAW but I thought it’d replace the looping requirements however it’s such a pain to start stop set the new track etc that it limits that freedom of just playing for me.

Anyone else got one? It’s probably more than I need tbf but always buy the one above the one that’ll do. Hopefully it’ll play nicely with my setup.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but just picked up a Boss RC600 today and can’t wait to be able to crack her outta the box and get creative. Sure, I have a DAW but I thought it’d replace the looping requirements however it’s such a pain to start stop set the new track etc that it limits that freedom of just playing for me.

Anyone else got one? It’s probably more than I need tbf but always buy the one above the one that’ll do. Hopefully it’ll play nicely with my setup.
Boss definitely has the best loopers out there and these certainly are better to use live or as a practice tool than an actual studio or something like GarageBand on Apple. There was a thread recently asking what players use to create jam tracks for practice tools, I recommended Boss Looper pedals. I feel like they are intuitive and so much better for creating.

Plus, they allow you to learn to use on the fly and for live looping in gigs. There's nothing better.

I don't have the RC600 but I've heard only great things. Ed Sheeran released a couple Looper pedals recently and the bigger flagship one doesn't even come close. I have an old Boss RC-2 which I have used live and for practice. It's a tiny, older model but has been very faithful and dependable.

I fell away from Boss for a bit but lately, within the last couple years, they’ve managed to continually surprise me with their efforts and higher quality boutique multi lines of pedals. Latest Boss buy was the SDE-3000 which I now love, it took a moment to get into and learn as there are no knobs but it was worth the $5999

The looper on the me90 wasn’t long enough or useful enough for me even with logic and logic is awesome but cumbersome when wanting to get ideas down so I’m really looking forward to getting it out of the box and seeing what both it and I can do

Not the RC600, but one of the earlier versions, with three different loops. The only thing I'd say I'm even mildly disappointed in is that the loops can't have independent lengths. I'd love to record two different arpeggios of different lengths and let them resolve against each other. But that's why I kept my original looper as well. And I've done that exactly never times.

If I’ve read correctly (and I’ve not yet opened the box) that’s a possibility with this however if not the option is always available to push to DAW in such cases

The Boss RC600 is an impressive piece of gear. Right out of the box you'll be able to start looping.

It can get deep. The customization is amazing; almost every feature can be assigned to any button. Lots of Boss drums and pattern variations (you can make a drum fill while looping) with many tempo sync options.

There is also myriad routines options as opposed to e studying coming out one mono jack. I think there are six different outputs that can be used for different amps. Drums and vocals can be run to a different amp than a guitar.

It's too much to explain succinctly. You will need to spend some time with it. It is far beyond a Ditto looper.

I'll post a pic of mine in a while to give you an idea of the customization. Congrats and have fun!

Thanks, looking forward to unboxing it once the little is recovered from being sick. Gonna be fun for sure, I also see that someone created a desktop editor for it which i may look into at some point once I get comfortable with it.

As usual with my purchases I tend to get locked into heavy research demo videos YouTube reviews and pretty much all first two pages of a search engine reviews and features functions, hints and tips, can’t wait to get started with it, will certainly ease my workflow and open up creativity.

Cheers!

EdoXQ1rl.jpg

Here's mine. I still don't have it exactly how I want.

The rocker footpedal controls the Drum Volume. I've had this EV-5 pedal since 1997 and it was used for my Roland Gr-30 Synth. Amazing it's still usable and in service! The A/B footpedal is set to momentary and trigger the A/B/C/D drum pattern variations. When set to momentary a drum fill will trigger respective to the variation.

I laid different color electrical tape respective to the color of the MENU button LED color. The writing on each line/color denotes the function of the footswitch respective to the MENU LED color. White, Red, and Blue LED colors.

It's super functional for me. Start/Stop drums, tap the tempo, change the drum pattern, activate IN FX, and OUT FX assignable per track.

Anyway, this is not the out of box setup. I've been live looping for many years with 4-6 stand alone loopers and drum machines.

This rig gets me that functionality plus the ability to loop sync, loop lock to measure or just run free like a stand alone looper pedal, with each loop able to have it's own settings.

I didn't even tap the routing yet. My goal is to have one output run to a Amplifier system for Drums, one output for vocals, and one output for guitar. I'm running this all into the Bose L1 Pro 16 and F1 812 and Sub with a Tonematch mixer.

It's super fun to run any of my PRS in this system, and I switch guitars for different tones for different loops, sometimes.

Thanks for the read, and apologies if it's rather long.

Craftsman I hope you feel better soon and get to play with this toy. I'd recommend you play with it for a while with stock settings as the configuration options are many, and bit overwhelming.

Awesome info thanks a lot man, looks like a sweet setup, will likely pickup some midi pedals just to make things easier too, can’t wait to get started just hope I don’t hit a stale patch before I get the chance haha

One thing I’m struggling with is the chain here, previously used the me90 as an interface into Logic when I have a couple neural archetypes, I can get it all setup and running but if I’m looping on the 600 with a rhythm then the archetype effects are applied to the rhythm also, going to try and set the Output in Logic to the looper and see how that sits. Not a major issue either way as I mostly set the drums in Logic as it is

Back