NGD - SE Custom 24, NPD - JB/Jazz set

shimmilou

Established in 1963
Ordered this new SE Custom 24, based solely on looks and description, hoping for a great feel, and great, unique sound. I hate to say that I was partly disappointed. Although I loved the look, and the guitar functioned perfectly, the fret ends were rough and I really didn't like the sounds of the pups (85/15 "S"). It wasn't fret sprout, the fret ends were just rough, which seems very odd since the crowns looked and felt smooth, they were rounded, very nice and shiny. I debated sending it back, but decided to "fix it up" myself because of the very unique and beautiful look of this particular guitar.

First, sanded the fret ends, didn't take long, and now they are much smoother and more comfortable to play (may work on them some more next string change). Next, tried adjusting the pups every-which-way, and could only get the bridge to sound nearly decent, but overall it was just too "woolly", lacking clarity or character in all switching positions, the split coils sounding just OK.

Wanting this guitar to sound unique, unlike any of my others, and the pups to be lower output, something great for blues and classic rock, I started researching different pup options. After checking info on many sets, the 59/09 set seemed to be very close to what I wanted, but eventually decided to try the JB/Jazz set first (much cheaper experiment). Turns out that was a great choice, very versatile and can produce a wide variety of sweet sounds.

The JB in the bridge is hot, very tight and crunchy, great articulation and note definition, bright and much higher output than the Jazz. The JB is great for classic rock sounds, and even metal, and shines particularly well with medium gain, bluesy rock sounds. The Jazz in the neck is warm and rich, and also bright and articulate, retaining great clarity when using more gain, and it has a wonderful PAF tone, chirpy and smooth. The middle switch position, really brings both pups together nicely, very P90-ish.

So, after dialing in the pup and pole heights, I have just what I wanted, a terrific variety of killer sounds, and not too much like any of my other guitars. Great clean sounds and great gain sounds. This guitar sounds dreamy on a Deluxe Reverb, mean and nasty on a Bugera, commanding on a Mesa, just wonderful on every amp that I've tried. I can find a seemingly endless variety of sounds, using all 6 switching positions, and the volume and tone controls, on many different amps.

OK, enough babbling, some pics of the guitar now, then will post a few before/after pics later (as well as discussing adding the pup covers).
Matteo Blue, Burled Ash veneer (head-stock too), Ebony fret-board, Maple neck, natural Mahogany back.

41178319665_d3f521c141_b.jpg

41177626275_3ff054ca39_b.jpg

42077248771_fc8a0a4f94_b.jpg

41178172275_ce1bc3fd10_b.jpg

28016078298_35f3f10129_b.jpg

42032594852_0583552e1a_b.jpg

40270011540_fbb24e21ac_b.jpg

42077241761_4b6926cc3e_b.jpg

That’s gorgeous! CNt believe it’s an SE!

They look so good now days.

Thanks guys. I've seen a few different dealers that had SE limited editions with exclusive tops. I think this was one of 21 in this configuration, and each has a unique figuring. Another that I almost got instead was a Trampas Green with quilted Maple veneer top and Rosewood fretboard, but wanted a blue one (sorry serge), and this blue one had an Ebony fretboard, which was appealing to me, as well as the look of the Burled Ash.

Nice SE and great choice in pickups. I've had that same combination in a couple of guitars in the past, and I currently have a Jazz in the neck of my LP and a JB in the bridge of my 594. Lots of bang for the buck, and I agree completely with your tone assessment.

Ordered this new SE Custom 24, based solely on looks and description, hoping for a great feel, and great, unique sound. I hate to say that I was partly disappointed. Although I loved the look, and the guitar functioned perfectly, the fret ends were rough and I really didn't like the sounds of the pups (85/15 "S"). It wasn't fret sprout, the fret ends were just rough, which seems very odd since the crowns looked and felt smooth, they were rounded, very nice and shiny. I debated sending it back, but decided to "fix it up" myself because of the very unique and beautiful look of this particular guitar.

First, sanded the fret ends, didn't take long, and now they are much smoother and more comfortable to play (may work on them some more next string change). Next, tried adjusting the pups every-which-way, and could only get the bridge to sound nearly decent, but overall it was just too "woolly", lacking clarity or character in all switching positions, the split coils sounding just OK.

Wanting this guitar to sound unique, unlike any of my others, and the pups to be lower output, something great for blues and classic rock, I started researching different pup options. After checking info on many sets, the 59/09 set seemed to be very close to what I wanted, but eventually decided to try the JB/Jazz set first (much cheaper experiment). Turns out that was a great choice, very versatile and can produce a wide variety of sweet sounds.

The JB in the bridge is hot, very tight and crunchy, great articulation and note definition, bright and much higher output than the Jazz. The JB is great for classic rock sounds, and even metal, and shines particularly well with medium gain, bluesy rock sounds. The Jazz in the neck is warm and rich, and also bright and articulate, retaining great clarity when using more gain, and it has a wonderful PAF tone, chirpy and smooth. The middle switch position, really brings both pups together nicely, very P90-ish.

So, after dialing in the pup and pole heights, I have just what I wanted, a terrific variety of killer sounds, and not too much like any of my other guitars. Great clean sounds and great gain sounds. This guitar sounds dreamy on a Deluxe Reverb, mean and nasty on a Bugera, commanding on a Mesa, just wonderful on every amp that I've tried. I can find a seemingly endless variety of sounds, using all 6 switching positions, and the volume and tone controls, on many different amps.

OK, enough babbling, some pics of the guitar now, then will post a few before/after pics later (as well as discussing adding the pup covers).
Matteo Blue, Burled Ash veneer (head-stock too), Ebony fret-board, Maple neck, natural Mahogany back.

41178319665_d3f521c141_b.jpg

41177626275_3ff054ca39_b.jpg

42077248771_fc8a0a4f94_b.jpg

41178172275_ce1bc3fd10_b.jpg

28016078298_35f3f10129_b.jpg

42032594852_0583552e1a_b.jpg

40270011540_fbb24e21ac_b.jpg

42077241761_4b6926cc3e_b.jpg
I do have both pearly gates, and the hot rodded sets of humbucker laying around the house... Maybe I'll try a set on my s2 cu24

Last edited:
Some before and after pics, I like it better with pup covers. I realize that that there is some tone change with covers added, but the sound is great with covers, and didn’t compare with and without, so I’m very happy.

41168762664_a10860e1d0_o.jpg

41177619925_5eb80549b0_o.jpg

40986896415_3672f2b6a2_o.jpg

41177621995_7c8d25ba58_o.jpg

Some before and after pics, I like it better with pup covers. I realize that that there is some tone change with covers added, but the sound is great with covers, and didn’t compare with and without, so I’m very happy.

41168762664_a10860e1d0_o.jpg

41177619925_5eb80549b0_o.jpg

40986896415_3672f2b6a2_o.jpg

41177621995_7c8d25ba58_o.jpg
Hot! Hot!! Hot!!!

Did you get this color and top in the US? Just askin for a friend.

Yes, it was spotlightmusicstore.com in Colorado. Last I checked, they had no more like this, but have a Whale Blue one, but with Rosewood fretboard.

Back