NGD: Santa brought me an SE 7-string!

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Santa, in the form of my hot blonde girlfriend, was very good to me this year:

IMG_3731LR_1024_zpsc35eca99.jpg

PRS SE Custom 24 7-string, in Amethyst, plus a Catalinbread Echorec!

It has a really nice flame to it:

IMG_3737LR_1024_zpsf374327f.jpg

And of course, trying it out shortly after unwrapping it and plugging in, I had to do the oblig faux core metal breakdown, which someone managed to catch photographically:

IMG_3726LR_1024_zps0fc1e8c6.jpg

My knees can't really take that, so it is probably the only time that will happen...

The seventh string is a bit interesting to get used to, and I'm not sure what tuning to use - I started with standard B, then downtuned to Drop-A, went back to standard B. Lots of fun, though...

And despite being in the same tuning as my baritone was when I received it (I have downtuned that to standard A), it feels very very different. I suppose the seventh string is just looser compared to the top/thickest string on the baritone, which is not only thicker but longer.

Anyway, apparently five (5) PRSi wasn't enough this year (after starting with zero!), I now have a sixth!

The Echorec is quite a fascinating beast too. I can easily get lost in the swell of echoes...

Very nice my man! Love the finish and the metal stance is pretty good too :D.

Well I love the whole thing, but the phrase "hot blonde girlfriend" tells me I would rather have a pic of the girlfriend than the guitar and the pedal.

Not that I want to seem like I'm being nosy or anything, but...

Pics of the HBGF please. ;)

PS Congrats on the guitar!

Last edited:
Congrats its an awesome axe
I got one of the new PRS followers here in Lebanon one just like it
A few month back and he is still sbredding on it non stop

Enjoy

Well I love the whole thing, but the phrase "hot blonde girlfriend" tells me I would rather have a pic of the girlfriend than the guitar and the pedal.

Not that I want to seem like I'm being nosy or anything, but...

Pics of the HBGF please. ;)

PS Congrats on the guitar!

From Pirate Night this past Fall:

Christinaandme-Piratenight2014cropped_zps18cad0af.jpg

And yeah, she's a keeper! Treats me far better than I deserve, I suspect, and I like treating her just as well back (except she actually deserves it).

On a separate topic, I just got back from a home studio, laying down some solos and rhythm tracks for a band-mate's solo CD. Used my Spruce HB - just the right level of grunge with those archtop pickups for her style of music. Also ran the piezo pup through the dirt pedal or through an acoustic simulator pedal for some nice sounds there too. Looking for ward to doing some recording with the 7-stringer eventually...

Congrats, dude, and welcome to Club 7-String! :rock:

I think I've really only used my w/the 7th string tuned down to B (and somewhere I saw Emil Werstler recommend using them in standard w/the low B), but I've also considered tuning it as down-tuned to B with a high E added. I haven't done that yet, though. And I figure it wouldn't be hard to do that tuned "up" to C.

I didn't know SE's had tops that fine. Enjoy!

There have been some stunning SE tops produced recently by PRS. Check out the SE ZM quilt top on this beauty here:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?11476-Incoming-NGD-ZM-Quilt

I think their ability to slice a large number of relatively thin veneers from a flat block keeps the cost of a nice top relatively low. For a Core PRS, they are carving down in to what looks like a nice 10-top chunk of maple, but sometimes the grain changes and you lose that 10-top-ness. So you are able to get 10 or more (guessing) SE tops out of a single block of flamed maple, with consistent flaming for all layers (and if any layers come out not so good, it meant the top was probably not going to make the core 10-top grade anyway).

I wonder at the logistics of how PRS supplies the wood for the SE line to Korea while also supplying the US-made line. Do they use independent supply chains, or one source for all and someone sorts/splits the shipments "ad hoc"?

Here's the oblig sunshine shots I try to take of all my PRSi:

IMG_3769LR_1024_zps17c28b18.jpg

IMG_3778LR_1024_zpsa60692ab.jpg

IMG_3780LR_1024_zps1476f82f.jpg

IMG_3784LR_1024_zps33e22380.jpg

The last shot really shows off the nice grain of the plain maple cap that underlays the veneer, and also shows how thin the veneer gets, at least at the edge.

The middle two shots show off the maple grain that runs orthogonal to the flame.

The guitar looks a little more pink-ish or true "amethyst" in the sunlight, whereas indoors it looks more "purple".

Back