NGD - Korina McCarty Brazilian

I just received a NOS 2007/13 Korina McCarty with Brazilian Finger board from Daves. It is a nice guitar and it truly rings out acoustically/unplugged. I've compared it to most of my other PRS guitars, "Trem and Non-Trem" and this one has fantastic body resonance. Almost like this guitar has a hollow chamber. I guess when I say better, I mean the strings sound more live and vibrate louder, it does not sound tinty, I would almost describe it as having fuller darker tone. The Pickups sound nice but are much lower output in comparison than my other PRS guitars. Although I'm tempted to update them, it really makes no sense other than to satisfy my need to "tinker"

This guitar does have a very Chubby Neck. It is described as Wide/Fat. I measured it and really it is not any wider at the Nut than my other PRS Guitars but it is certainly Fatter.
Here are the Measurements
  • Nut width - 1.71
  • @ 3rd fret Thickness - .905
  • @ 12th fret Thickness - .990
Although I have played it now for like two hours straight, I can feel my hand as some fatigue from the thicker neck and playing Bar chords. It is comfortable enough for soloing, but I'm not really a shredder so speed is not my thing.

I liked the simple wood grain on the top. It starts out straight at the neck and then kinda of flares as the body widens.

I recently bought two CU24's with Pattern Thin Natural Flame necks and I definitely enjoying playing those more than this McCarty, but this is still a keeper and it will get played as frequently as possible.

IMG_5633_zps5jwopcjr.jpg

IMG_5635_zpsp0i3f9ai.jpg

IMG_5634_zpsx8nr0v8i.jpg

Brat...I'm holding you directly responsible for my purchase I made today of the same guitar you bought at Dave's. I was unaware of those and thought they were all gone. So, I thought about it for a while and knew I'd be disappointed if I didn't take advantage of the deal at Dave's. I see the Brazilian boards and korina options will be going away at some point soon. I got the last black sunburst with chorme hardware available. My McSoapy korina needed some good company anyway. So thank you! You very much inspired me to make a great grab on a disappearing instrument from the golden era of PRS guitars. Can't wait to get her in and post some pics. I'll start a new thread when I do. Seriously...It was meant to be and can't wait to gig with it! Thanks again. Cheers!!! Stay tuned!

Brat...I'm holding you directly responsible for my purchase I made today of the same guitar you bought at Dave's. I was unaware of those and thought they were all gone. So, I thought about it for a while and knew I'd be disappointed if I didn't take advantage of the deal at Dave's. I see the Brazilian boards and korina options will be going away at some point soon. I got the last black sunburst with chorme hardware available. My McSoapy korina needed some good company anyway. So thank you! You very much inspired me to make a great grab on a disappearing instrument from the golden era of PRS guitars. Can't wait to get her in and post some pics. I'll start a new thread when I do. Seriously...It was meant to be and can't wait to gig with it! Thanks again. Cheers!!! Stay tuned!

Nice!! I've been back on forth on these for a long time. I should pull the trigger.

Congrats ! That's a beauty !
I've been watching those same Korina McCarty's as well. I guess someone finally bought the lighter weight Black Sunburst with gold hardware that I was in love with....oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be.

Bodia...Yes! If it makes financial sense. It would be a great grab especially with the eroding markets of korina and Brazilian boards and all the regulations being placed on the industry.
You're the Devil! :D You just made me buy that SC Ted last month, and now this! We'll see..........

Woo Hoo!! Korina Jack, I'm very Happy for you. I too share most of the same reasons you listed for buying mine. I also felt I would feel disappointed if I did not pull the trigger. It was not my intent to influence anyone in buying one, but I can fully understand how tempting this guitar is especially with Dave's deal. Enjoy!!, and I will follow your new Post. Cheers!!

I want one of these! OP - Gratz on a sweet guitar! Love these korinas. Wish they all came with pattern regular / DGT necks.

I agree, I wish it came with a thinner neck pattern, but really once I start playing I quickly forget how thick the neck is. The guitar is just so well balanced in my hands that my attention is not with the neck thickness but with the overall tone and playability. It really does resonate very well. The Neck thickness only pops into my brain if I'm switching guitars, It's only then that I immediately feel the thick neck.

Thank you for buying that particular guitar. I`ve been waiting for the hospital to call me with a quote on one of my kidneys. Now I won`t answer the call.

I know it is just humor, so I wanted to just click on the "Like" button, but I thought it might be callous to simply "like" your organ trade.

Nice guitar! Like a few people above, I've been wanting to pull the trigger on one of those from Dave's. I have a P22 that I am not THAT quite happy with, and hoping a McCarty Korina will give me a much fuller, bolder, vintage-ish vibe and tone which I am looking for (my #1 has been an SE Bernie for along time so I guess I'm looking for something similar).

Funny enough I've been looking at this finish too.

Hey bricel24, I'm very happy with this Guitar, it complements my other guitars. I would not say it is my #1, but it still gets played and makes me happy. Mine definitely feels alive with resonance. It has a nice creamy tone. As I might have mentioned, I'm tempted to swap out the bridge Pickup with a hotter pickup, PRS or Other brand. But this is only because I crave that hotter pickup in other guitars, I'm afraid if I swap the pickups then this guitar will no longer be unique, I'm really finding that the longer I play it the more I have come to crave it as designed.

Congrats ! That's a beauty !
I've been watching those same Korina McCarty's as well. I guess someone finally bought the lighter weight Black Sunburst with gold hardware that I was in love with....oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be.

Hey BeerBatteredPhish, I some how get a feeling they may have few more in the warehouse, If you are are really interested it may be worth a call to Dave's to see if they have any more with Gold hardware at a lighter weight.

I did trade a Horner pianet N for 2 Se`s a month ago. No Korina, though. That`s as close as I`ve come to an organ trade............

Back