NGD - Into the Deep End

solacematt

So, I have to admit, I've never really been into the whole 7-string thing. However when two of my favorite bands, Saint Asonia and New Year's Day put out albums this year which are pretty 7-string heavy I couldn't take it anymore. I wanted to learn these songs but couldn't/wouldn't do it on a 6. So I kept my eye out and came across this thing and took it home today. Neck feels like heaven. A good friend of mine has always been a high end Ibanez 7-string guy but I always found the neck on his to be too chunky. This was like little red riding hood - just right. Since I'm on holiday break from university right now I'm going to be having some fun playing this thing :)
pr71.JPG

pr72.JPG

pr73.JPG

pr74.JPG

Congrats! Welcome to Club SE7! Fun guitar! The low end sounds killer. I was never much into 7s and couldn't wrap my head around them. But I'm digging it now, even if I don't use it anywhere near its full potential.

How much more black could it be?

Congrats! You are braver than I sir...I have enough trouble with 6 strings. Have fun noodling with her over the break!

Congrats! Love the black look.

I love my SE-7. I use both standard B and Drop-A tunings, and get a kick out of riffing around on both. One of these days I should sit down and learn a song by another band, so maybe I'll look at Saint Asonia and New Year's Day, but I find that usually with such bands their style of playing is more intense than my slow hands can handle. (That's why I'm a huge Gilmour nut - his style of playing is exactly my speed, although I do go nutso in a Neil Young kinda way occasionally.)

Fantastic!! I love it. Hope to hear some clips from it. I'm sure it just sounds mean...!!

Cheers from another 7-string player. Been concentrating on sixes lately, but still pull out the 7s every once in a while.

Very nice Matt, looks great. I'm curious as to how a band like Saint Asonia does things since Adam plays 6 strings. Assuming that he just isn't hitting those lower registers and playing a harmony or octave up to Mike's 7 riffage.

Very nice Matt, looks great. I'm curious as to how a band like Saint Asonia does things since Adam plays 6 strings. Assuming that he just isn't hitting those lower registers and playing a harmony or octave up to Mike's 7 riffage.

You know, it's taken me literally months to figure it out, especially since Mike pretty much went out of his way to throw me off. He told me he tunes his 7-string down to F#. I took that as the whole instrument down one and a half steps. He's not. He's tuning the whole guitar down a half step and then the low B and E string down a whole step. It's the same A flat tuning he's been using since Dysfunction that he popularized with "Mudshovel." Most of the time he isn't even using the 7th string and really only employs it on 2 songs, "Blow Me Wide Open," and "King of Nothing." So the tuning he is actually in is AbDbAbDbGbBbEb. Unfortunately you have people know who don't want to recognize flat notes and see them as a letter lower then written and call it sharp.... ::shakes head:: Once you realize that that's the tuning Mike is using every song becomes very easy to figure out. Adam is tuning his McCarty and hollowbody II down a half step and dropping the low E to D.

You know, it's taken me literally months to figure it out, especially since Mike pretty much went out of his way to throw me off. He told me he tunes his 7-string down to F#. I took that as the whole instrument down one and a half steps. He's not. He's tuning the whole guitar down a half step and then the low B and E string down a whole step. It's the same A flat tuning he's been using since Dysfunction that he popularized with "Mudshovel." Most of the time he isn't even using the 7th string and really only employs it on 2 songs, "Blow Me Wide Open," and "King of Nothing." So the tuning he is actually in is AbDbAbDbGbBbEb. Unfortunately you have people know who don't want to recognize flat notes and see them as a letter lower then written and call it sharp.... ::shakes head:: Once you realize that that's the tuning Mike is using every song becomes very easy to figure out. Adam is tuning his McCarty and hollowbody II down a half step and dropping the low E to D.
Makes sense then if he's only using the 7th string sparingly.

congrats! I've only had a few hours of time on my SE-7 that I picked up used, but I'm definitely enjoying it more and more every day.

Back