NGD: A unique way to get back into PRS electrics

phillybri

First thing I need to say about this guitar is that it is not technically mine. It also comes with a very interesting story.

My girlfriend bought this guitar from a friend in South Florida who really needed the cash. It was originally owned by a great friend of theirs who passed away several years ago.

When she bought it, my expectations were very low, and to be sure, it needs a TON of work. And yet...it’s a PRS and it feels incredible. I LOOOOOOOVE the neck profile on this thing.

Soon, it will have a new set of tuners, new knobs, new frets and a full setup. But right now, I’m glad to have access to a classic Custom 24 from the 90’s…

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

I've never been a fan of "relicing" any guitar, much less a PRS. They're beautiful so why destroy (my opinion) that beauty to fake the time honored wear from gigging and travel? (a brief addendum to this in a moment).
But a genuine time worn instrument showing the natural passage of time and use is a treasured thing and deserves to be looked after in loving fashion. Again, my opinion. Congrats on the acquisition of a fine instrument, I hope the refit goes well for you.
As a martial artist and instructor, I've seen many things in the times when I competed in various levels Provincially, Nationally and at International meets. One thing I always took exception to was that some of the competitors took great pains to make their belts look "worn" from years of rigorous training. Kind of silly when you see a player in his early 20's wearing a belt that looks double (or more) his or her age. I personally took pride in my uniform and belt when on the competition stage, and wore my best gi and made sure it was pressed straight and pristine as possible. I've seen guys in the locker room with a sanding block scuffing the black carcass off their belt...some even used to drag them behind a vehicle to make them look worn. Cripes, just go out and buy a damn trophy if you want one that badly.:p
True, my belt now (some 30 years after receiving my instructor status at 4th dan) looks threadbare and worn, as it should after what it and I have been through. Not unlike what a workhorse guitar would. But I'm certainly not in my 20's anymore either!:D

First thing I need to say about this guitar is that it is not technically mine. It also comes with a very interesting story.

My girlfriend bought this guitar from a friend in South Florida who really needed the cash. It was originally owned by a great friend of theirs who passed away several years ago.

When she bought it, my expectations were very low, and to be sure, it needs a TON of work. And yet...it’s a PRS and it feels incredible. I LOOOOOOOVE the neck profile on this thing.

Soon, it will have a new set of tuners, new knobs, new frets and a full setup. But right now, I’m glad to have access to a classic Custom 24 from the 90’s…

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php
So nice

Back