NGD: 1997 CU22 (First PRS)

TubeStack

Hello, new to the forum and PRS. :)

I bought this ‘97 Custom 22 a week ago and love it!

Semi-hollow with no F hole.

It’s my first PRS, and it’s funny because it’s actually the first PRS I’ve ever played. Loved it and bought it almost immediately.

Plays super well, feels and sounds great. Love the stoptail bridge. Also dig the colour and overall look. Some nice subtle flame to the top, under the “root beer” finish. Super light at 7 lbs. Very responsive and alive-feeling.

Dragon I pickups are killer, too! I'm really enjoying them and the whole guitar in general.

I mostly play rock and my other guitars are an R9 and AV Strat. Amp is a Mesa Electra Dyne head + various Mesa V30 cabs.

I now have a bit of PRS fever and am looking at older McCartys… :cool:

xAf25Ip.jpeg

JgxKacQ.jpg

Nice first PRS! A 90's Custom 22 with Dragon pickups and a stoptail bridge is a KILLER guitar. (What you have there is essentially a "Dragon (1)" model but without all the fancy inlay on the neck.) IMO, those pickups with a stoptail bridge and the 5-way rotary selector provide some of the best rock tones available.

Hell, yeah! LOVE it. Dragon I’s, Phase I wings, and a Stoptail…perfect.:)
That color probably is Tortoise Shell. There was Root beer, but this one looks closer to Tort Shell. Take a look underneath the pickups and see what’s written inside the cavity.

Also - Gorilla Amps Tube Stack tone is where it’s at! Had one for my first amp.:p:D

Thanks, everyone!

Yes, it definitely is one of those great guitars, where you know it’s special as soon as you play it. I hit a couple chords and played some lead stuff and was immediately like, “whoa, what do we have here.”

I was actually planning on hitting three stores and trying out 5-6 guitars before picking one. This was first on the list, and after playing it for 20min or so, I bought it and didn’t even bother going to the other stores. :D

Hell, yeah! LOVE it. Dragon I’s, Phase I wings, and a Stoptail…perfect.:)
Completely agree!

That color probably is Tortoise Shell. There was Root beer, but this one looks closer to Tort Shell. Take a look underneath the pickups and see what’s written inside the cavity.

It’s funny you say that, as I use Fender tortoise shell colour picks, and I had looked at one of the pics and realized it was pretty close to this guitar, earlier this week.
Also - Gorilla Amps Tube Stack tone is where it’s at! Had one for my first amp.:p:D

Haha, me too! I was in Gr 7 and LOVED that amp and the Tube Stack setting, thought it was totally “the sound of ROCK.” :)

Nice first PRS! A 90's Custom 22 with Dragon pickups and a stoptail bridge is a KILLER guitar. (What you have there is essentially a "Dragon (1)" model but without all the fancy inlay on the neck.) IMO, those pickups with a stoptail bridge and the 5-way rotary selector provide some of the best rock tones available.

Yes! It just kills for rock tones with my Mesa. All I did was adjust the pickup + pole piece heights a bit and it was immediately amazing.

The Dragon I bridge pickup is a beast for rock tones, wow. Also love the clarity and fat-but-clear sound of the neck pickup. I usually swap pickups out pretty quick but love these and don’t see any need.

The 5-way has taken some getting used to, but so far I like it.

Thanks, everyone!

Yes, it definitely is one of those great guitars, where you know it’s special as soon as you play it. I hit a couple chords and played some lead stuff and was immediately like, “whoa, what do we have here.”

I was actually planning on hitting three stores and trying out 5-6 guitars before picking one. This was first on the list, and after playing it for 20min or so, I bought it and didn’t even bother going to the other stores. :D
How the heck do you plan on having a prs herd if you don't go to ALL the stores?????????????????

Great guitar! I have a 97 ce22 w D1s

Back