News Flash !!! Jeff Beck dies at 78 years old

CrimesAgainstMusic

So I'm whipping thru the NY Times to see what is happening in the non-guitar world, and I see this picture of a guy holding a guitar (and I check it to see what kind of guitar it is)
I realize the guy is Jeff Beck (and guess the guitar is a Gibson LP)

Then the headline hits me ... He died yesterday at age 78 !!! :(:(:(

I recall just recently seeing a tour schedule for him ... to see if he would be in town.

I got to see him a few years ago at the Chicago Theater (?) when he was doing Les Paul stuff ...
Great show, but I wanted to see him do his own ... But now ... :(

RIP dude. Clearly one of the greatest dudes ever to play ...

I was going to leave the outside Christmas lights off tonight. But I just turned them on and I'm going to drink a toast to Jeff.

I met him once at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit. Rod Stewart was his singer. They were doing the Truth album back then. About 1967 or 68. He was walking through the crowd, cradling his Les Paul in his arms. I walked up and said "Can I shake your hand? You're my favorite guitarist." He shifted his Les Paul to his left hand, stuck out his right and said "Oh! That's great!" Saw him three time that weekend. Friday and Saturday at the Grande in Detroit and then Sunday in Ann Arbor.

I was lucky to share an evening with Jeff at Chastain Park with my daughter, when he played Somewhere Over the Rainbow , I almost lost it .. I told her she was witnessing the greatest living guitar player at his prime..and to cherish that moment .... I always will

I heard about this when it was announced late on the BBC news over here. A really great loss. I never saw him (always next time - just shows you have to take the chance when it comes) but truly a master and innovator. The combination of finger picking, volume swells phrasin and that use of the whammy bar just mark him out as a musical genius. RIP

Truly "One Of One." RIP
cO7TqDy.jpg

I was going to leave the outside Christmas lights off tonight. But I just turned them on and I'm going to drink a toast to Jeff.

I met him once at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit. Rod Stewart was his singer. They were doing the Truth album back then. About 1967 or 68. He was walking through the crowd, cradling his Les Paul in his arms. I walked up and said "Can I shake your hand? You're my favorite guitarist." He shifted his Les Paul to his left hand, stuck out his right and said "Oh! That's great!" Saw him three time that weekend. Friday and Saturday at the Grande in Detroit and then Sunday in Ann Arbor.
I'm truly devastated this morning after hearing the news. LewGuitar, you are fortunate twice over. First, to shake his hand and speak with him even briefly. But then to see him & band perform the songs from "Truth" live! Holy $hit, man - - - one of my favorite albums of all time. Let me ask you, Lew, was Ronnie Wood on bass? Who played drums?

BTW, it's been a long time since I've posted here, but after hearing of Beck's death, I felt I had to say something. Maybe I'll post something later on why I've been missing for months.

I'm truly devastated this morning after hearing the news. LewGuitar, you are fortunate twice over. First, to shake his hand and speak with him even briefly. But then to see him & band perform the songs from "Truth" live! Holy $hit, man - - - one of my favorite albums of all time. Let me ask you, Lew, was Ronnie Wood on bass? Who played drums?

BTW, it's been a long time since I've posted here, but after hearing of Beck's death, I felt I had to say something. Maybe I'll post something later on why I've been missing for months.

Ron Wood was on bass and Micky Waller on drums. The same band as on Truth.

I wonder what ever happened to Micky Waller?

He wasn't a thundering drummer like Ginger Baker but he was solid and the band sounded GREAT!

Back