New PRS Will Not Stay In Tune

Terrapin66

Hello all, just looking for a little advice here..

I recently purchased a brand new 24-08 guitar from the Guitar Center in San Marcos CA. Beautiful action and the finish is immaculate. Problem is, it won’t stay in tune. When I bend the G-string it goes flat and when I depress the tremolo arm, the low E-string returns sharp. Additionally, the tremolo bar is very stiff and when I try to raise the pitch by more than a tone, one of the 4 springs pops off.
I brought the guitar back to the Guitar Center for a “platinum set up” and it’s made no difference. In fact if anything, it’s made things worse.

I forked out $4k for this guitar and I would expect better. At this stage, I’m wondering if this guitar can be set up properly by a third party or perhaps its just a “dud” and should be returned for a refund?

I’d really appreciate any and all advice from the community.

Kind Regards. T

Your not looking for a 55 point setup (like the auto dealers) just a restring and setup (intonation, neck relief, nut adjustment if needed, maybe spring/ term claw). Go to a trusted luthier in your area. As far as the string popping off sounds like the locking tuners aren’t set properly and it’s not a Floyd Rose so your not going to be doing those sort of guitar aerobics. You should be able to get it sorted. Good luck.

This sounds like a possible nut issue as far as the strings going sharp and flat in the scenarios you have described. The spring coming out is a strange one. I have not seen that happen on a core PRS before and I have worked on a good number of them. If I had the guitar here I would pull the springs and check the angle on the straight piece that goes into the tremolo block and see if the one that is falling out is bent at a different angle. I would also check to see if they are all the same length. A competent tech should be able to get this working well and staying in tune.

One test that I do with these when I set them up is to dive the tremolo and see if it comes back up in tune. I will keep adjusting until it does. These tremolos typically work well with minimal tuning issues. I have one on an SAS that I tried to make dive only with a Tremol-No and it didn't like that at all. If I leave it free floating it works fine. This is the only one that I have tried to do that with so I am not sure if they all work that way but I have put mine back to full floating because I decided I didn't need it to be the way I was trying to get it to work.

I’m certain the guitar can be made right, though it might be less stressful to return it to the store for a refund and find another one.

Just because a store has a good name for their service, doesn’t mean they have staff capable of delivering that service.

Personally, I would talk to Doug at Wild Cat Guitars (not too far away). I guarantee they can do a proper set up.

Last edited:
I'm with the others...this sounds like a simple set-up issue, and it sounds like your GC is perhaps not really qualified to do the work. Surprise, surprise, cough, cough.

The trem spring coming off means something isn't quite set up right in the cavity (might just be too many springs, since you say it is "stiff", or bad spring screw setup).

A string not staying in tune is not totally unusual across many brands - might just need a nut slot clean-up. But probably related to the trem cavity issue.

I'd ask for a refund on any "setup" charges from GC, take it to another luthier/guitar tech for a proper set up.

If the store can't make it right, then I'd return it. Every one of my PRS's from my Core Custom 24 to my lowly Korean made EG2 has stays perfectly in turn after any string bending and reasonable trem use. Any by reasonable here I'm talking much more extreme that you can get away with on say a Strat. I can abuse them nearly has hard as a Floyd and it comes right back to perfect pitch.

Don't worry about the action and finish. In my experience any PRS you buy will be just as good. I've not seen the wild variability as with other brand like Gibson and Fender.

Good luck!

Ya know, before I jump into ANYTHING that I am passionate about, I try and learn as much as I can about said subject. That includes my experience with guitars.
Am I gently suggesting that every that plays should learn to be a luthier. No… Who-has time for that..BUT

Only a suggestion
Watch a couple of videos of setup basics and learn the physics of your guitar. What about the ones before the PRS ? Were they perfect from the store. Nothing is perfect, but once you learn to PROPERLY setup your guitar, your feedback, and what your guitar can give you back makes sense. Whatcha gonna do when that guitar starts that seasonal distraction of humidity tweaks, different tunings,string gauge changes, etc.

To sum it up, “ ya love playing one of the best guitars out there, hands on just makes for a better sum!
( also it doesn’t hurt you landed here!!!!!!!):p

I’m certain the guitar can be made right, though it might be less stressful to return it to the store for a refund and find another one.

Just because a store has a good name for their service, doesn’t mean they have staff capable of delivering that service.

Personally, I would talk to Doug at Wild West Guitars (not too far away). I guarantee they can do a proper set up.

Doug at Wild Cat Guitars?

Well, he definitely is “wild.”

Last edited:
Just for reference, I have purchased a Core PRS Studio Guitar from Wildwood Guitars and it arrived not only in tune (!) but set up perfectly. I bought my Core PRS Paul’s Guitar from Heartbreaker Guitars and when it arrived it only required a very small truss-rod adjustment to eliminate a buzz (expected because of shipping), however, it was set up perfectly otherwise). Both of these dealers have qualified experienced luthiers on-staff who set-up every Guitar before it goes out. So, in my opinion, it pays to go to dealers who offer these services. I’m sure there are many other smaller dealers (not the size of the mega-stores) who provide the same level of service.

Last edited:
Back