NEW - PRS Archon 100 Effects Loop Problem

Bogner

Redwood Original - Pure Blood
My Archon 100 is having a problem. This Archon was purchased new a few months ago. The amp works fine until I put some effects into the effects loop. As soon as I do I get a very high treble fuzzy sound and the volume drops drastically. When I hit a string the sound widens and expands (still in that high treble fizzy sound then narrows back out). Intermittent cutting in and out and sounds nothing like it is supposed to sound. Once I take everything out of the loop and run the amp by itself, no issues and the amp sounds great on both the clean and dirty channels. Nothing wrong with the pedals or cables or the power from the wall or the power supplying the pedals. All 4 power amp tubes seem to be glowing consistently. I bought this amp new and it has maybe a half hour of use on it so far. My other two Archons act fine in the same scenario.

What do you think the problem is?

Thanks in advance.

There have been several threads about this. The basic gist has been that some pedals just don't play nicely in the Archon's loop. Try them one at a time and you should be able to identify which ones are problematic.

There have been several threads about this. The basic gist has been that some pedals just don't play nicely in the Archon's loop. Try them one at a time and you should be able to identify which ones are problematic.
Hmm...The only issue I have is that I have multiple Archon's and the couple pedals I tried have worked in the other amps but not this one. I was wondering if it might be a bad tube. I will mess around and see what I can find. Thank you for answering. I appreciate it.

Hmm...The only issue I have is that I have multiple Archon's and the couple pedals I tried have worked in the other amps but not this one. I was wondering if it might be a bad tube. I will mess around and see what I can find. Thank you for answering. I appreciate it.

Duh. Totally missed the line at the end about your other Archons.

From what I can see, V6 drives the FX loop in the 50. Should be the same for the 100, but you can check me on that. Swap a known good 12AX7 in and see if it helps.
Yes, I have the tube position layout and will swap a tube and see if that helps. Hopefully it solves the problem. Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it.

Back