New Phase II tuners feel very rough/ not smooth.

ChrisCst22

I ordered a new set of Phase II tuners. The idea was to migrate the old/worn Phase II's from my first Custom 22 over to my Tim Mahoney SE. That way the Custom 22 has fresh new tuners with the brass posts like my newer Custom I picked up.

So a couple of things I wanted to address. First, some pictures.

imagefoj.jpg

imagedpiu.jpg

imageleuj.jpg

So. I screwed up installing the old Phase II's a little. As you can see they're not perfectly straight, especially the D and G. The other thing is I broke the screw head off on the high E string. Using the screws the SE came with, which are a very soft metal. After that happened I ended up using the original screws which were much harder. Anyone have a suggestion about how to fix that? (Should probably take it to someone else, right?:laugh:) They work perfectly so I'm not sure if I'm going to even end up doing anything about it.

So that's one thing, but now I'll address what the topic says. My question is if anyone feels like new tuners need to be broken in? The phase IIs from the first custom, now on the SE, are extremely smooth action. They have no play either way (meaning some movement which doesn't rotate the post). My 08 custom 22, which doesn't have a ton of play on it, is not as smooth. It's still good but there's a little play there. Then on the new tuners I got, wow they feel horrible. I've tried tightening/loosening the tuner button, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It seems I can turn the G tuner a good 1/8 of rotation down before the post begins to move. They're all fine tuning up, it's tuning down that seems to have a ton of slack on it.

And I did install the same ebony buttons from stewmac that are in the SE. But I was testing the tuners stock when I first got them and the "action" was downright horrible. Very rough, and very uneven amount of torque. Like they would move quickly and then slowly with the same amount of turning.

Anyone have an idea? Should I go in an try lubing inside the tuner or something? That's for an insights.

Might not be related and might be something you've already checked, bt did you tighten the buttons under string tension? I replaced the buttons on my Mira while the strings were at pitch, and had issues. I ended up lessening the strings so there was no tension, then loosened and tightened the tuning buttons. After that, no problems.

That's all I have for you. Good luck.

Back