New member, new baritone.

ljtritle

Hey there! I've been roaming the forum for a while, but this is my first post.

Currently, I own a 2013 SE Angelus Custom and a 2014 P24 trem, but I have a Mike Mushok baritone on the way. This is my first experience with a baritone. Any advice on what to expect? Any suggestions on how to dive in to the baritone world? Thanks!

Congrats!! I have had a MM baritone for about 5 years now. I don't have a lot of advice, really... just string it with 14-68 strings as are the specs for this model. I used 13-56 on it for a long time and they didn't work anywhere near as well. Mine's tuned B to B, but you could do A to A if you wanted. What's good about this model is the maple neck with ebony fretboard gives the tone more snap, whereas the thicker strings and lower tuning might give a more mellow tone. It hangs in the same general brightness range as a standard tuned PRS, which is a good thing IMHO. I don't have to redial my amp every time I switch guitars.

Thanks for the welcome! And the advice is much appreciated. I'm excited to experiment with the lower tunings. I've never ventured far from a half step down. My names Logan, by the way!

I have a MM Baritone, and as John Beef stated, it plays very nice, and you don't need to tweak your amp when switching from a "normal" guitar. I keep mine tuned A to A, standard tuning.

I use it two different ways: as an accompanying, lower-tuned, guitar, almost like a rhythm-bass blend, with no dirt or echo (or maybe a little of echo/delay). I use it this way when gigging with my band, and the other guitarist(s) is/are capoed up, usually to A (fifth fret).

And when I feel like thrashing away at home messing around, I crank up the dirt, and just djent away like a madman. I'm sure none of my thrashing is all that interesting or treading new ground, but I have fun!

I really need to find a couple of specific songs to learn, where the original artist uses a baritone tuned to either A-A or B-B perhaps. Weird thing is I don't seem to be terribly familiar with many of the songs that apparently use a baritone, although I may hear the odd song on the radio. Well, there is a couple of Porcupine Tree songs, so maybe I should look at those, even if they are fairly challenging. I'd just like to start with something simpler, the equivalent of AC/DC Back In Black or Floyd's Wish You Were Here, ya know?

Welcome.

I love my MM baritone, i finally found my pickups for it in the PRS 59/09s and the USA wiring for it. I have a 7 string set of Ernies on mine at the moment, minus the 10 gauge. However, when i finally get the nut properly seated to the depth i want ill be putting the D'Adds that it comes stock with back on as i have a set of them waiting for it. I like to tune it to B-B with a little of Drop A in as well. Great guitar, the best baritone in the market at the moment.

Back