New Guitar Day: Time Capsule Modern Eagle 1, Unplayed, first owner

Just a quick tone report (Video will be a touch delayed as I am re-arranging my music room)

This thing just rips. I have to admit I like it better than the Trem, mainly due to the pickups (57/08s are my least favourite PRS pickups. I have a pair of 58/15 LTs I am so tempted to put in, but not sure I should mess with a guitar I play much)

Back to the new newcomer. The bridge pickup is my favourite for now. The best way I can describe the tone is focussed yet thick. This means when you plug in to a mid gain Marshall tone and you play Lenny Kravitz's 'Are you gonna go my way', your ears perk up at how accurate it sounds. At the same time, roll down the tone a bit, add a tube screamer and a bit of delay, and it's Gary Moore's 'The Loner', overladen with harmonics.

The neck pickup is nice It's a typical PRS sound, not at all in Les Paul territory, much a rosewood neck humbucker tone (which means enhanced highs and lows) The harmonics continue as I think its an inherent part of the guitar's unplugged tone.

The coil splits are much lower volume than the full humbuckers. This translates to a bright split middle position sound, perfect for flat picking. Like an acoustic but if it had beautiful overtones and more body.
59/09s pair very well with full BRW necks. I find 57/08s better with other wood varieties, but my ears aren’t the greatest.

Gone, but never forgotten - a ME I SCT loaded with 59/09s.

E187-AB0-D-4-C6-C-4-EFD-A915-99-B00-F0778-A9.jpg

That would make sense since it doesn’t have USA only on the back of headstock and would be out there before the CITES holdover guitars. I think the 5708 started showing up on some of those holdover guitars.
Right, the CITES-held ME 1's were released in 2012, and depending on when they were finished, they came with either RP's or 57/08s. Pre-CITES ME's came with RP pickups installed.

So many of you know, of the two PRS Braz rosewood necked legends, the 513 Rosewood is my favourite and I overcompensated by getting 3 of them.

That said, the Modern Eagle 1 is legendary. And it is not everyday you get to chance upon an unplayed, one owner example.

This was the case for me yesterday, as I picked one up from a wonderful gentleman, who also watches my Youtube channel. He's more of a collector though he does play as well and has some wonderful instruments. Around 16 years ago, he had bought new from the local PRS dealer, a charcoal ME1 hardtail and essentially kept it in its case since then, occasionally taking it out to admire it.

It is remarkable. Pretty much frozen in time, flawless, no scratches, no oxidation. Haven't gotten round to doing a video yet but be rest assured, it is coming.

I think it makes a good pair with my other ME1, the one that I think was the last one to be bought new (by myself).

I'll let the photos do the talking from here on

The case sitting there in anticipation
A2ZmjHN.jpeg

The contents justify the wait
TyIeMlg.jpeg

She agrees
e5C3660.jpeg

A closeup
InHvxZt.jpeg

A view of that neck
ftUoVov.jpeg

A little memento
K9Zydyz.jpeg

The two Modern Eagle 1s together
yoz96lR.jpeg

And a look at the back. Quite different colouring
eJ260M0.jpeg
Wow... Just..... Wow....
$weetaliciou$ne$$icity

The guitar kills.

Your guitars are nicer than mine. Your studio is nicer than mine. Your rug looks nicer, too.

I'm clearly behind the 8-ball here, and it's clearly time for me to retire to a hermit's cave and never, ever think I'm cool again.

"It was time for you to do that the day you were born."

"Yes, but I was too young to realize it then."

The guitar kills.

Your guitars are nicer than mine. Your studio is nicer than mine. Your rug looks nicer, too.

I'm clearly behind the 8-ball here, and it's clearly time for me to retire to a hermit's cave and never, ever think I'm cool again.

But you’ve got THEE most righteous lamps I have ever seen.

The guitar kills.

They say photographs deceive. Those who have come into my ‘studio’ call it it a guitar closet. Hey wait, I guess that sounds pretty good

Back