Need help 85/15 s

Brazenhead

I will try to be as thorough and complete as possible with this. I have a 2018 PRSSE custom 24 left-handed in Trampas green. I am currently playing it through a 2018 Marshall DSL one head with a black star 112 cabinet with a black bird 50 W speaker. I’ve also played it through several of my other amps. I really feel like the pick ups in this guitar which are the 85/15 S are very harsh sounding and very fizzy with any sort of distortion or overdrive at all. I cannot dial in a good sound with these pick ups on any amp. This is an issue I’ve never had with any other guitar or amp, I can always find a sound of that I enjoy and suits me. I play a mixture of blues and classic rock Style of music. So my question is Should I just change the pick ups and if so can any one recommend good ones for that style of music. Thank you in advance .

Have you tried lowering them? That’s usually my go to first solution, followed by burying the pole pieces a bit.

If all else fails, swap ‘em.

High end: PRS 57/08s
Median Price: Lindy Fralin Pure PAFs
Low Price: Exc. Value: Seymour Duncan SH-1n '59 (neck); Saturday Night Special (bridge) (Covered Optional)

For more info, view Doug Rappaport's Seymour Duncan pickup reviews, below. You'll thank me later. Best Price for Duncan's: Sweetwater.com, or Reverb/eBay, used.

Last edited:
I’m not a big fan either. Alternatively, I ordered 85/15 pups in my new one.
And I still think you can’t go wrong with 59/09s.
Obviously, genre has a lot to do with your pup preference.

Last edited:
Back