Neck pocket cracks?

62caster

Trying to get some opinions on if y'all would buy a Silver Sky SE with a small crack in the neck pocket. Seems to be a solid guitar otherwise, and I can't quite tell if it's a finish crack or through to the wood. It's about an eighth of an inch.

Any thoughts?

I likewise have a neck pocket crack on my Strat and it's fine. I've owned the guitar from new so it's something I've done - I think it probably happened when the case got knocked over. That said, I'd expect a decent discount if I was buying a guitar with a similar neck crack. Given (as Alnus said) SE SSs are so new and plentify I'd go for one without any damage unless the one with a crack is vey cheap. (I'd also wonder what caused the crack in the first place).

My James Tyler Studio Elite HD has a neck pocket finish crack, its a cosmetic issue though and I just live with it. Its a 30 + year old guitar now and it is just part of what it is.

These type of cracks occur easily, a slight bang to the neck, a dropped case etc. One thing that did surprise me when i was told is that these cracks can occur if you pick up the guitar by the neck near the nut with a slight angle, such as picking it up of a floor stand. I make sure I pick up all my guitars around the neck joint these days!

I would pass.
I had a Strat with that crack and it was not simply cosmetic, it was a crack in the wood. It needs to be sanded to see how serious is the damage.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a guitar with a neck pocket crack if I can check it out in person before buying. Many S type guitars suffer from this. It is usually just in the finish. I have only seen one that was more serious than that and it belonged to a friend who brought it to me for a setup.

I had an Ernie Ball Axis that I bought that I just couldn't get along with the neck on. I only had it for a few months. I put it up for sale and when I met the guy to sell it to him he asked about the neck pocket crack. I said "what crack." He showed it to me. I know it wasn't there when I bought the guitar and I barely played it so I have no idea how it happened. He asked if he could put some pressure on it to make sure it didn't open up. I said go ahead it is insured. He flexed it and nothing happened so he bought the guitar from me. I think this is typical for how these typically go.

If I wouldn't have the opportunity to look at it prior to buying it, I would make sure I could easily return it if it were more serious than a finish crack and if that was not possible, I would pass on it.

If the crack is in the corner of the pocket......it is very common on bolt ons and is usually finish only.

Is there an option either yourself or the seller to remove the neck to verify there is no crack in the wood itself?

I once knew a guy who smoked neck pocket crack.

Not surprisingly, all his teeth fell out, and last time I saw him he was laying in the gutter drinking Woolite.

Dangerous stuff.

"How was it that you saw him in the gutter drinking Woolite?"

"Because I was in the alley drinking Woolite."

"You're as bad as he was, then."

"Hey. HE was addicted. I was just...experimenting."

I once knew a guy who smoked neck pocket crack.

Not surprisingly, all his teeth fell out, and last time I saw him he was laying in the gutter drinking Woolite.

Dangerous stuff.

"How was it that you saw him in the gutter drinking Woolite?"

"Because I was in the alley drinking Woolite."

"You're as bad as he was, then."

"Hey. HE was addicted. I was just...experimenting."

Back