NBGD 2014 PRS SE Kingfisher (8-27-2014)

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
NBGD 2014 PRS SE Kingfisher

It was about time for PRS to release some bass guitars under the SE line.
As soon as these were announced on the PRS forum I put a call into my local dealer to order me a Kingfisher in Natural.
That was on the 24th of June, and it arrived at my dealer on the 26th of August, and I picked it up on Wednesday the 27th, so about two months to get it in.
My dealer got my order in the day they were announced, but being on the West coast it seems to take much longer getting these in.

I have always been interested in bass and have played some off and on over the years.
Last September of 2013 I was at my dealer for the Meet & Greet with Paul and I was handed the prototype Grainger to try out, and I knew I wanted to get a bass some day.

Like most of the SE line I am very impressed with the SE Kingfisher.
The only thing I added to it was the Schaller Strap Lock end pins since I run the Schaller Strap Lock system on all of my guitars and straps.
Schaller 14010101 Security Straplocks, Nickel
Had the dealer install new strings in the same gauge as it was shipped with, and I went with Ernie Ball Cobalt Hybrid in 45 - 105 gauge.
Cobalt Hybrid Slinky Bass

I run Ernie Ball Cobalt Super Slinkys on all of my other guitars, so it was natural to try out the Cobalts for the new Kingfisher bass.

On all of my other guitars changing out the stock end pins to switch over to the Schaller pins I could use the PRS screws again.
Not on the Kingfisher, the screws would not separate from the end pins, so I had to use the Schaller ones which are narrower and would not tighten.
Solution was to break off a round toothpick and insert about a 1/2" piece down the hole.
This let the Schaller screws tighten up great.

The guitar is very easy to play, and it is very comfortable too.
I had a feeling it would, and like most PRS guitars I own, I bought this site unseen knowing that it would be just fine.

My dealer also ordered a PRS Grainger bass hardshell case for me, but the upper bout where the end pin is it hits the cushioning a bit, but it looks like it will compress over time.
The gig bags that come with these are a brown color instead of the maroon ones that come with the SE guitars.

The pictures below were taken with my Canon T5i DLSR.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The neck below looks like part of the wood stripe is gone, but it is the way the camera picked up up.

7.jpg

Daytime pics, no flash.

8.jpg

9.jpg

Put up a rack last week to hold the Blackstar ID 30, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and the Zoom R24 24 track recorder.

10.jpg

Continued, 10 picture limit per post

The next three were taken in the dark with no flash on.
I am amazed how much light the T5i camera brings into it.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Not sure with no flash (any of the pics) how the green light shield on my bankers light got reflected onto the TV screen.

13.jpg

And last but not least, a butt shot :D

14.jpg
[/B]

Congrats Coey! That looks awesome. Wish I could find one locally to see if I'm gassing for it a little, or a lot.

Thanks guy's.
Just got back from my dealer again (Cobalt strings), and besides the Kestrel he got in when mine came in, he got in another Kingfisher yesterday in the darker color.
The Cobalts are better sounding than what the guitar came with.

He also had quite a few of the new S2 singlecuts in, and also the new semi hollow S2 singlecut.
I played the S2 semi hollow singlecut, and I like it.
The neck does not seem as chunky as my Zach Myers, and I would not mind picking one up in the future.
Half the price of a Tremonti, and better feeling than the ZM.

Great looking bass! Ive yet to try one but all the pics look like they are FAR nicer than their price point.

As for the name, I wonder if someone at PRS is a Formula 1 fan?? LOL

1407832569_77978.jpg

Thanks again guy's.
Also my first neck through guitar I have ever owned.
I am really digging this bass.

Would like to take it to work too like I have with my other guitars, but I have to measure the length first and see if it will fit in my locker at work.
Nothing like playing guitar at work for a bit before you start your day.

Very nice, that's the exact PRS bass I would would pick as well. Love the natural ash. Someday.

Thanks!
I think they hit this one right, and they should be very proud of it.
I just got done playing it for about 30 minutes through the Roland Microcube bass amp with my iPod plugged into it cycling through a playlist I put together called For Guitar.
Lots of AC/DC and others on it.

One thing about playing bass is if you mess up a note it is not as bad as with the guitar since bass is so much lower :D
Also surprised how loud that little 4 speaker amp is running on AA batteries.
Somewhere though I have a 110V adapter for it and my other Microcube, gotta find them to save on batteries when playing indoors.

I wonder if they will introduce a 5 string next year, or even an S2 bass?
I would go for an S2 too if they made one.

I realized last night that the two basses I have are both single-coils. I'm now forced to re-evaluate whether I need one of these...

Congrats! It looks great!

Thanks Alan.

The force, er I mean the GAS is great with you Alan, it is wise to not resist the the Kingfisher.

The finish on these is slick, and I made mine even slicker today as I put on a coat of Virtuoso Polish, and it is slicker and shinier than before.

Also tried on one of my guitar straps, and I will not have to adjust them for the bass, the length is OK for both the guitars and the bass.
I almost find it easier to play too with the neck pointing almost straight up, kind of like how Stone Temple Pilots bassist Robert DeLeo - Evi holds his.
I remember the first time I saw them in videos, and I thought that looked pretty cool but must be difficult, but no it is not.

STP900-600.jpg

I almost find it easier to play too with the neck pointing almost straight up, kind of like how Stone Temple Pilots bassist Robert DeLeo - Evi holds his.
I remember the first time I saw them in videos, and I thought that looked pretty cool but must be difficult, but no it is not.
The way he's holding/wearing the bass is essentially how stand-up bass players hold their instrument, so that makes perfect sense, IMHO. I know some people don't believe this, but the bass is a different animal from the 6-string guitar! :eek: So why not wear it differently?

And yes, a very nice bass guitar you have there, giving me severe bouts of GAS! Exactly the model and finish I will be getting, eventually. (Unless a 5-string SE or S2 comes out beforehand, maybe...)

Back