Nastiest Place you’ve played?

Dedham, Massachusetts “The Keg,” c 1973.
Fights were the nightly attraction.
We were paid in drinks and hash.
Cargo netting in front of the “stage” above the bar. Wouldn’t stop a shot glass, but would stop a chair, which we were appreciative of.
We played mostly WAR songs, like Lowrider, World is a Ghetto, etc.
Sounded terrible. All the garage bands in Boston sounded awful back then, including Aerosmith.
J. Geils Band was several echelons up from the rest of us wankers.
I don’t remember much about the seventies, but they tell me I was there.

Did I tell you about the time I had to take a dump in front of most of the audience?
:oops:

Buddy of mine was playing in a dump when he had to take a dump. Really had to go, can't wait, right now.

Luckily, he was playing wireless. He headed for the can, still playing, waited for a breakdown in the song to unzip and squat, and finished the rest of the song from the throne.

My buddy is a pro.

=K

Last edited:
Buddy of mine was playing in a dump when he had to take a dump. Really had to go, can't wait, right now.

Luckily, he was playing wireless. He headed for the can, still playing, waited for a breakdown in the song to unzip and squat, and finished the rest of the song from the throne.

My buddy is a pro.

=K

Ah the “Brown sound” again!

My buddy is a pro.

=K
I don't know whether to laugh at this, be appalled at this, or be impressed. Can I do a combination? All??

I don't know whether to laugh at this, be appalled at this, or be impressed. Can I do a combination? All??

Apparently this is not uncommon. There's a thread going on at That Great Place about nightmare gigs, and "bob-i" posted this tale:

"Years ago I was working with a singer, just me and him with backing tracks. He was having urology problems and mid set had to go, REALLY had to go. He took his wireless mic into the men’s room and took care of business without missing a note. All was fine, until the flush."

=K

Last edited:
Used to play a place in Minneapolis about 15 years ago called the Library. It was near the U of M campus and out singer lived across the street. The load in was down a super rickety stair case and the place always had fruit flies. The stage was a bit wobbly and the sound system was subpar. At least the crowd was fun and the drinks were free.

It was 1974 and the club was a biker bar in Allston, Massachusetts called “ Plimsoul’s Disaster, and it was. It seems Plimsoul had gotten smart and bailed. We were booked for a week, It was a full moon, and there were twice as many bouncers as usual. I loaded in, we set up, and got started. Yes, there was chicken wire all the way across the front of the stage, and I didn’t understand why it was floor to ceiling on a wooden frame nailed down. Sure enough, halfway through the first set, a guy just walked up to a bouncer and hit him. Then all hell broke loose, with nobody leaving. I got behind the bass players stack, while a bouncer glared and said “Just keep playing! We did. It was a good 20 minutes of broken bottles and brawling. And some of the women were tougher than the bouncers. We finished the night, the week, and told the agent we’d kill him if he booked us there again.

2012, didn't play, but drove to mid-state to watch my mentor's band play a little dive on a city street, the bar named "La Boca."

Interestingly, La Boca was in the news this morning when a drunk vagrant ambled into the bar Thursday night and the bouncer told him to leave. The vagrant cut the bouncer with a box knife and stumbled off in to the night. The bouncer later ID'd the vagrant and the guy fessed up, effectively saying he did it and wished to be put away for 100 years.

La Boca was no more than a bar that went from street side towards the back of the building, with a tiny elevated stage and not much of a dance floor at all. There was just about enough room to watch the band from the back corner of the bar. A staircase led off upstairs where God's-knows-what went on. The place reeked of dirty clothing, grease, and smoke. Not really a decent place to drink, more of a place where cheap drinks and mebbe overcooked fried bar food was offered. No stars for service, food, ambiance, or atmosphere.

Will never visit La Boca again; was a learning experience regards what dive bars are all about.

Back