Narrow field pickups vs. P90's (soapbar)

rpoce24

P90's in many of the other bands seem to be seeing somewhat of a resurgence, instead PRS seems to be giving us the narrow field pickups. From someone that has used both, how do the narrow fields sound compared to the PRS soapbars? I had really wanted so see the soapbars introduced into the S2 line, but instead we got the Core Studio and that core Special Semi Hollow.

I have been looking for a P90 guitar for some time as I have 2 humbucker guitars, and a Silver Sky, so it would be something I do not have.

NFs don't pick up hum. That's probably the biggest difference.

NFs feel a little fatter than P90s, the same way P90s are a fatter sounding regular single coil. But obviously not as fat as a regular HB.

Ever heard the mini-HBs, P90 sized, in a LP Deluxe from the 70s? NFs are kinda like that.

Narrowfields rock. I have been a fan since they came out and have numerous versions as well as PTC mods

image6_zpstqi67bwg.jpg

It’s been a long time since I’ve played P90’s, but my recollection is P90’s are brighter. I feel like NF’s are a smoother, slightly darker non hum but maybe similar output.

Still kinda want to get an S2 SC satin standard and get a new pick guard that’s cut for P90’s.

Why does this guitar remind me of the movie “Total Recall?” :)
Well, if you heard me play, you would tell me to get off the planet. LOL
BTW - saw your post on EVH. I feel the same way about him and his Wolfgangs.
It seems to me that people forget that he bought a scrap swampash body, put a broken pickup in it along with an old trem. Stuck an after market neck on it and made history. The magic is in your fingers. Period.

The P90s I have sound more aggressive, in a good way. Clean, they do have that in between a single/double coil sound, but it’s their overdriven sound that I think makes the P90. There is a edgy snarl to Soapbars that sets them apart.

The Narrowfield reminds me quite a bit of a good minihumbucker, like the old Gibson units. Clearer than a standard HB, a bit brighter. They sound really nice clean, and cut through with a nice tone distorted. Think Scott Gorham in Thin Lizzy, and the great way his LP Deluxe meshed with the humbuckers on Brian Robertson’s LP. A nice blend.

A Narrowfield guitar is definitely on my list. Same old story... shouldn’t have sold the one I had!

@Bluesverb That Studio made me think of the EBMM Spinal Tap guitar. Cool!

I’d be very interested to hear what changes were made to this version NF pickup. Let’s not forget that the originals were wound to exact 57/08 specs, and any tonal differences between them and the 57/08 was only the effect of the narrow coils.

P90's in many of the other bands seem to be seeing somewhat of a resurgence, instead PRS seems to be giving us the narrow field pickups. From someone that has used both, how do the narrow fields sound compared to the PRS soapbars? I had really wanted so see the soapbars introduced into the S2 line, but instead we got the Core Studio and that core Special Semi Hollow.

I have been looking for a P90 guitar for some time as I have 2 humbucker guitars, and a Silver Sky, so it would be something I do not have.

I have both. The Narrowfields don't hum, but they also sound different. The resonances are in different frequency bands, and the frequency balance is also different.

The Narrowfields are more "open" sounding. There's less phase shift than a traditional humbucker and more articulation. The openness is more in the direction of a Fender style single coil, but there's more lower midrange and oomph.

The P-90s have even more midrange and lower-midrange emphasis; I think of them as more horn-like.

In other words, if you want a P-90 sound, get a P-90 guitar. If you want a more open sound, get one with Narrowfields. I have some recordings of the P-90 594 I have and of the guitar I own equipped with a Narrowfield, but unfortunately they're recorded with different amps, and the comparison wouldn't be apples to apples.

I'll post them nonetheless, if you like.

OK, so how about a new S2 Studio? Two Soapbars and one NF

Edit: That’s right. The last S2 Studio was too recent. So make it an SE Studio.

I’d be very interested to hear what changes were made to this version NF pickup. Let’s not forget that the originals were wound to exact 57/08 specs, and any tonal differences between them and the 57/08 was only the effect of the narrow coils.

Yes, though the thing to remember is that the tonal difference is fairly substantial because of the narrow coils (I have both). I suppose that's why it's worthwhile to have more than the one guitar!

:eek:

Pickups are so interesting, aren't they?

Back