Name your top 5 *non-guitarist* influences

Ya gotta love the Bladerunner soundtrack.
Not just Blade Runner and Chariots of Fire -- I love everything he does. I'm working on the "Needles & Bones" section of Heaven and Hell, just because I love his music so much. (It's the one that sounds like one of Tchaikovsky's "Danses caractéristiques".) I even love his albums The City and Direct.

Last edited:
Ok more -

James Taylor
Carol King
Seals and Crofts
Michael Jackson
Prince
Mel Torme
Colman Hawkins
Oscar Peterson
David Lee Roth
Brian Adams
Dave Grohl
Vivaldi
Debussy

Etc etc etc:p

You can’t compartmentalise me, I won’t conform, you can’t make me!!

John Taylor

I love this board. Seriously.

Also, after racking my brain, I have to give a special shout-out to Chester Thompson, as well as Omar Hakim. There are a lot of killer pocket drummers but these guys really opened my eyes in incomparable ways when it come to structure and dynamics. I've always been a sort-of-drummer on the side (read: poseur... but I did take lessons from a killer player in Austin who'd studied extensively with Kenny Aronoff, so I gave it a valiant effort).

I caught an interview with Peter Cox and Richard Drummie - Go West, on BBC Radio 2 today. I always found Peter’s vocals an influence growing up. They attributed their influences as Motown and ‘70s soul, also an influence to me.

In the early ‘90s I discovered an album by Little Feat - Feats don’t fail me now. Lowell George’s vocal and the slide guitar just did it for me. “Fat man in the bath tub” such a good song.

So great to see them still gigging!

I can’t pick 5, so I guess I’ve failed. Story of my life, but I’m ok with it!!:)