My next PRS; Studio or Hollow Body II guitar?

Revelation

I can't try out either guitar as no store in my area of 2 hours driving distance has either one. I have a McCarty 594 and a Gibson 335 already. I am a blues rock player who likes jazz. I'm only ok at it, playing more Larry Carlton Lee Ritenour style in my 25+ years of playing.

I like the Hollowbody and would use it mostly for clean with the front pickup or both pickups for rthy. I love the airy sound I hear on videos though I am not sure how much of a difference it will be compared to my 594 as they both have the same pickups and wood. Just a more airy sound which is still wonderful. Plus it does not have the woody Gibson tone. This is something with a clearer acoustic type sound. I don't care for a piezo by the way, so the Hollow Body 594 would be more attractive.

Studio; I like it has a whammy bar though I don't use the one on my Strat much. I like it has different pickups and it can get a Strat type sound with the back pickup in split mode and using the toggle switch 2 for quack. This seems to be a more versatile guitar and it would provide different sounds from my 594. So I am gravitating more towards this guitar. But if I want a Strat, I can just use my Strat. The airy clean tone of the hollow body and its look draws me to it.

If you’re looking for variety, the Studio would be the way to go, considering your current arsenal. And you might be surprised at the usefulness of the narrowfields. They are their own thing, and it’s a really nice, clear voice.

One consideration on the Hollowbody, and a suggestion made to me on this forum that I am glad I explored, is the Spruce top version of the McCarty HB. You’d have to find a used one, as they haven’t been made in quite a while, but they’re wonderful guitars and use the older “Archtop” pickups, which definitely have a thicker, jazzy tone. I think it would be right up your alley.

The good thing is you’re going to get a great guitar any way you go with the ones you’re considering!

First, any hollow body guitar has a different resonant frequency than a solid body guitar. That's a very significant thing, and it's why they sound different. In my experience, the PRS hollow body guitars sound different from a 335 (I had a custom shop 335 for a while).

Even the 594 sounds different from a Les Paul (just my opinion, and I prefer my 594). PRSes are their own thing. Of course, you know this.

So really it boils down to what you're after sonically, and sometimes that's not only down to the model, but the individual guitar. A 'magic' Studio might be more interesting for you than an ordinary HB, but on the other hand, a 'magic' HB might be. more your thing than an ordinary Studio.

If you're considering two guitars, the key often comes down to playing the individual instrument. I'd talk to any online dealers about a 24 hour return policy. Might be worth the extra shipping expense. I always insist on it. My dealer has never turned me down.

If I was to get a hollow body 2, I would use it as the same purpose as my 2021 Gibson 335-blues/jazz. It would be a luxary to have both and one would be ignored a lot. So the question is would I prefer the playability, size and sound of the PRs Hollow body or the 335. Due to the high price of the hollow body, i would have to sell my 335 to help pay for it. This video for my ears gives the impression the 335 is the better guitar if you want the classic jazz sound. But do I really want that 50's-60's sound or a more modern more open hollow body? I think I will need a PRs Hollow body shipped to me at some point.

Back