My first PS guitar.

Well dang it.
Supposed to be delivered Tuesday but I will be in Cincinnati all week for work.
Home late on Friday and out early Saturday for a short vacation break.
So about best it will get is a cursory glance and quick once over late Friday night.
Well poop! :confused:
worse, cincinnati is still completely shut down for jerry springer memorials.

I am curious here.
How would they have changed the bird inlays for gold dots at PRS?
Total new fretboard?

Maybe it was a typo since probably 99.9999% of PS guitars have birds of some sort. Copy/paste and whoops.

Maybe it was a typo since probably 99.9999% of PS guitars have birds of some sort. Copy/paste and whoops.
Nope, photos show gold dots and listing says it was returned to PRS to have the bird inlays changed for gold dots.

Woah!
It is WAY better in the "wood" than I imagined from the pictures.
The Solano Orange finish just literally sizzles that cannot be captured in pictures.
I absolutely love the look of the neck but the feel and playability of it is off the charts.
And the tone?
Makes everything else seem pedestrian I own...
Couple quick pictures before I hit the ZZZ shed!

the neck... is unusual.
I admit that I don’t know much about private stock. But to me, it looks like there is some orange peel in the finish around the tuners. I’m hoping that’s a trick of the camera. I’m pretty sure a finish issue like that would never leave the shop. And the dots are far from uniform. The first four don’t look like moons at all, and the rest are quite dark. Again, it could be because it’s in shadow.

I am curious here.
How would they have changed the bird inlays for gold dots at PRS?
Total new fretboard?

I can answer that.

This guitar was built for my friend Tom. I bought it years ago from him, and I resold it quite a few years ago. It had 2 bolt-on (CE) necks.

Why 2 necks? As I recall, Tom wanted a Gibson ‘50’s sized neck, but the original one received was more like a PRS wide fat. So, PRS made him a second fatter neck. Since yours does not meet the specs on the certificate, you evidently have the later fatter one. I also recall that the original neck was unfigured rock maple, and PRS acquired a flame blank for the 2nd neck (PRS used to stock no flame maple blanks in the vault),

The first time I saw this relisted after it left my hands, it was listed with only one neck. While you got a great guitar at a nice price, it’s too bad that someone decided to split the necks up. It’s still unique as a CE PS, but it was even more so as the only one I know of that was made with 2 different necks.

As a side note, my friend Tom was an interesting player/collector. He had serious back issues, so guitar weight was a big deal to him. He required a light Les Paul, and so, the original “cloud 9” Les Paul, under 8 lbs, was developed for him (through Wildwood).

Last edited:
This one is still available. PS #661
The ad needs to read “one of IT’S kind”, however.;):)

I can answer that.

This guitar was built for my friend Tom. I bought it years ago from him, and I resold it quite a few years ago. It had 2 bolt-on (CE) necks.

Why 2 necks? As I recall, Tom wanted a Gibson ‘50’s sized neck, but the original one received was more like a PRS wide fat. So, PRS made him a second fatter neck. Since yours does not meet the specs on the certificate, you evidently have the later fatter one. I also recall that the original neck was unfigured rock maple, and PRS acquired a flame blank for the 2nd neck (PRS used to stock no flame maple blanks in the vault),

The first time I saw this relisted after it left my hands, it was listed with only one neck. While you got a great guitar at a nice price, it’s too bad that someone decided to split the necks up. It’s still unique as a CE PS, but it was even more so as the only one I know of that was made with 2 different necks.

As a side note, my friend Tom was an interesting player/collector. He had serious back issues, so guitar weight was a big deal to him. He required a light Les Paul, and so, the original “cloud 9” Les Paul, under 8 lbs, was developed for him (through Wildwood).

Ok. Now I’m perplexed. Is the neck “wide thin” as stated in the ad? And they claim it was sent back to PRS for changes? I’d ask PRS wazzup.

As fate would have it, my PC, with all my “sold guitar” info, crashed last night, so I can’t check my records. Being repaired (I pray) on Monday.

Woah!
It is WAY better in the "wood" than I imagined from the pictures.
The Solano Orange finish just literally sizzles that cannot be captured in pictures.
I absolutely love the look of the neck but the feel and playability of it is off the charts.
And the tone?
Makes everything else seem pedestrian I own...
Couple quick pictures before I hit the ZZZ shed!

Omagaaaaad! Congrats that’s a beauty, something about that flame that makes me weak.

I can answer that.

Nice share Steve. Shame about the second neck.

As fate would have it, my PC, with all my “sold guitar” info, crashed last night, so I can’t check my records. Being repaired (I pray) on Monday.

As a now-amateur IT professional, I have to ask the question users hate to hear in this situation - you did have backups, right?

Because not having a backup of your computer is not a good idea. Ask me how I know. No, wait - don't. I think you know.

Ok. Now I’m perplexed. Is the neck “wide thin” as stated in the ad? And they claim it was sent back to PRS for changes? I’d ask PRS wazzup.

I'm thinking that the shop who sold it don't really know all the details themselves.
So when I get home and get the chance I will have to measure the neck and see exactly what it is.

Do you remember if either neck had gold dot inlays?

Not that it concerns me overmuch as I am very happy with it as is.

I appreciate all the extra information and it's something I can now dig into.

I'm thinking that the shop who sold it don't really know all the details themselves.
So when I get home and get the chance I will have to measure the neck and see exactly what it is.

Do you remember if either neck had gold dot inlays?

Not that it concerns me overmuch as I am very happy with it as is.

I appreciate all the extra information and it's something I can now dig into.

I don’t remember the dots being gold. ? Dunno, and my office PC crashed so I can’t look it up. But the 2nd neck I’m referring to was a baseball bat (thickness), and the shop seller listed as “wide-thin.” That doesn’t add up.

As a now-amateur IT professional, I have to ask the question users hate to hear in this situation - you did have backups, right?

Because not having a backup of your computer is not a good idea. Ask me how I know. No, wait - don't. I think you know.

I was told it’s backed up on our company server, but I’m computer illiterate, so praying. I have cloud backup for photos.

Back