Mooer Rumble Drive vs Zen Drive. Who needs $30,000

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
Phil's latest video.
I must confess I do not know what a Dumble amp is.
I have heard of them, and also that they fetch a very high price tag.

I think both pedals sound good in his video, but I would have liked to have heard one of his PRS guitars through it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You like videos, and what better than a video of a Dumble to figure out what that is?

Here's what a Dumble sounds like. Those pedals don't cut it. Then again, I've never heard a pedal that tries to be a Dumble succeed in actually sounding like a Dumble, let alone responding like one.

Note: V-30s aren't great speakers to use with a Dumble style amp (most Dumble players prefer Celestion 65s, or EVs, or even Greenbacks) but this will give you a taste:

I played Two-Rocks for about a decade, and they're thought to be Dumble style amps though they're a little different. In any case, the amp has a very particular type of compression, and its tonal balance is as identifiable as a Plexi or a Fender, but it's different from both.

Finally, I've never heard of a Dumble going for less than 50K these days!

Hope this helps!

Doesn't sound any better than my 25th anniversary

And there are players who will claim that your PRS amp doesn't sound any "better" than their $700 Marshall. Who's to judge "better?" It's entirely subjective, and therefore, somewhat pointless to contemplate.

It isn't a matter of sounding better. It sounds different. It has a different feel when you play through it, too.

The 25th Anniversary won't do what the Dumble does. The Dumble won't do what the 25th does. They're different amps, both in design and intention.

Of course, back when Dumble was building amps in Santa Cruz in the early days, they weren't terribly expensive, but they were each custom built and individually tuned for the needs of a given pro player - so each one sounds different.

The market price for these things was driven up by collectors. Most players couldn't get an amp from Howard Dumble because he preferred to build amps for session players and rock stars. Can't blame him for being picky about who he wanted to work for; the amps were never intended for mass production or the general guitar market. So they're rare, and each one is unique. And of course, there is that rock star cachet that people are willing to throw money at.

I'd rather play my PRS amps, too. Not because they're somehow better, but because they suit my playing style a little more. They're certainly every bit as good, just different.

But I take my hat off to a guy who could create a unique sound that is sought after 30+ years after it was designed.

Last edited:
One thing that I've learned while learning the intracacies of my Bruno Underground 30 and my Mesa Mark IIC+ is that you don't just plug your instrument into an amp. A good amp is every bit as much of a musical instrument as your guitar. I've really been learning to play my amps like instruments as well. I've never played a real Dumble, but some of the well-known Dumble clones are fabulous instruments as well. I've even started "playing" my beloved Plexi as well. While I don't really go for that Carlton/Ford tone that most folks equate with Dumbles, I DO love the Dumbles' singing, sustaining clean tone. They're the real deal.

Great. I have had a zen drive on the radar for my vox, as its supposed to work really well with them, but was balking at the price and seemingly rarity, so happy to plumb for the mooer, got one on the way from amazon for 44quid - thanks!

One thing that I've learned while learning the intracacies of my Bruno Underground 30 and my Mesa Mark IIC+ is that you don't just plug your instrument into an amp. A good amp is every bit as much of a musical instrument as your guitar. I've really been learning to play my amps like instruments as well. I've never played a real Dumble, but some of the well-known Dumble clones are fabulous instruments as well. I've even started "playing" my beloved Plexi as well. While I don't really go for that Carlton/Ford tone that most folks equate with Dumbles, I DO love the Dumbles' singing, sustaining clean tone. They're the real deal.

Great observation! I agree that a great amp is something you really play and work with your guitar.

Though I've found a lot of amps that really don't respond to one's playing in a way that's very satisfying, the good ones do.

While I don't really go for that Carlton/Ford tone that most folks equate with Dumbles...

I guess I'm lucky that the tones and players I'm into are/were not created with some crazy expensive almost unobtainable gear. I mean, it's pretty easy for me to pick up a Mesa Mk II or a Roland Space Echo if I wanna sound like Mick Jones. :rock:

Last edited:
The great thing about a Mark II is that you can sound like almost anybody...Santana, Metallica, Petrucci, Keef, etc...

I still don't understand the huge fascination/obsession that people have with the dumble amps. So much talk of them has made them mythical as if people feel like whatever it is that they're using isn't good enough compared to this amp that they most likely have never tried. I'm with Les, if it works for you you've already hit the jackpot

The great thing about a Mark II is that you can sound like almost anybody...Santana, Metallica, Petrucci, Keef, etc...

And more! I can understand wanting something different or more specialized..but if you can't get it done with an amp like that. It's not the amp. It's you.

I still don't understand the huge fascination/obsession that people have with the dumble amps. So much talk of them has made them mythical as if people feel like whatever it is that they're using isn't good enough compared to this amp that they most likely have never tried.

I'm one of those people who have never played, or recorded that amp. I'm not saying I'm a Dumble atheist or anything, but I'll admit to being a Dumble agnostic. I casually observe it from the outside without investing too much of myself in it, and in my ignorance... think it sounds like a Fender amp with that mid-heavy distortion box in front.

Last edited:
I am baffled by the concept of any pedal that is supposed to make your amp sound just like a particular amp. Even if that is the only pedal you are using and you use the shortest cables possible, how does that pedal then make every brand and model of amp sound the same?

Well it cant but there are lots of plexi type pedals about, for example, so they can paint colours of an amp

I'm excited as this one is supposed to be akin to the zen drive pedal which is known to work well with voxes, which are known to be picky with drive pedals, more so than other amps.

Well it cant but there are lots of plexi type pedals about, for example, so they can paint colours of an amp

I'm excited as this one is supposed to be akin to the zen drive pedal which is known to work well with voxes, which are known to be picky with drive pedals, more so than other amps.

First impressions, a bit bleah....I'll keep at it, but will probably re-cycle it, as....I have 2 other drive pedals which I like a lot: a TC mojo mojo, which is 'creamy' and a visual sound open road which is more akin to the mooer, think they are more tube screamery camp, but the VS is much better, has more depth to it when I set them up akin to one another.

First impressions, a bit bleah....I'll keep at it, but will probably re-cycle it, as....I have 2 other drive pedals which I like a lot: a TC mojo mojo, which is 'creamy' and a visual sound open road which is more akin to the mooer, think they are more tube screamery camp, but the VS is much better, has more depth to it when I set them up akin to one another.

Internet hype being what it is, a lot of money gets thrown at pedals these days!

I have a Mad Professor Simble on the way, thanks to the other Dumble related thread from a while back. From the reviews and comparisons, I think it's the one for me. I watched the Prymaxe demo of the Mooer and wasn't at all impressed, and Mike Hermans always brings out the best in gear.

For those not familiar, here are two of the most famous Dumble users on stage:

I've been a long-time fan of the playing and tone of Larry Carlton and Robben Ford. I love anything that gets me in that ballpark. I've been happy with my AC Booster for years, but it's malfunctioning, so I jumped at the opportunity to try something else.

Funny thing is Robben also keeps a Zen Drive on his board.

One more for the Dumble files.

Almost forgot, I picked up a Mooer Rumble for the heck of it and actually liked it. It's real small size earns it a spot in my gig bag along with my Zoom MS100 BT for those times I have to use a provided amp.

A particular pedal won't nail it but it's close enough through a good clean Blackface amp for me.

I have a few D-Style pedals but it's not a go-to sound for me.

If anyone is interested, I'm digging the Simble very much. Excited about hearing it with the band soon. I had been using the SL Drive for my higher gain, but it now sounds horrible compared to the Simble.

It's definitely no Dumble but it certainly is rich and transparent.

Back